MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Internet & Email arrow Topic: IE will not talk to internet connection
June 02, 2020, 02:29:38 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2020, 02:29:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  We now offer MyTechSupport.ca Merchandise! Every purchase goes towards maintaining our site.
Thank you for supporting MyTechSupport.ca!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: IE will not talk to internet connection  (Read 1854 times)
mikeadams

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2003, 01:21:52 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:Win XP
Problem Application Name & Version: IE5
Problem Hardware Make & Model: Dell laptop Latitude D600
Error Messages:

New PC - I have been able to setup a dial up connection to my ISP. This dials and makes a connection - however I cannot get Internet Explorer to talk to the connection - it behaves as if I am not connected to the internet. It is not finding any server on connection. Any ideas how to resolve this - the dial up seems OK - but I cannot use the connection.

Any ideas welcome.

Mike

bbhagrid

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2003, 08:04:35 PM »

do you get an error when you start it? if so what does it say

When I die, I want to die like my grandmother, who died peacefully
in her sleep.  Not screaming like all the passengers in her car.

Brian
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2003, 02:01:10 PM »

Hi,

1. In IE, go to Tools > Internet Options...
2. Connection tab
3. Make sure "Always dial my default connection" is selected and that your dial-up connect is set to default by highlighting it and hitting the "Set Default" button.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
mikeadams

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2003, 11:17:29 AM »

Thanks for replies - the ISP account is with RMPLC. Very strange I have now found that IE will connect to their website and I can refresh the page and go to internal links on their site. If I go beyond their site I get the white screen saying it cannot be found. It seems IE can only see the ISP homepages? Could there be a Proxy server setting that I have missed? Any clues - thanks again for help. (No strange messages on start up)

Mike

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2003, 12:24:19 AM »

Hi,

Unless your ISP requires you to go through a proxy server, there shouldn't be any proxy settings. This does sound like an ISP problem. Try to connect and then run 'ipconfig /all > c:\test.txt' <ENTER> (no quotes) at a Command Prompt and attach the test.txt file to your next post so I can see what is going on.

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2003, 01:44:25 PM »

I have discovered that my machine had the same problem. It kept saying DNS error.

What I found was that there were lots of winsock32.dll's, when in fact there should only be one. Do yourself a favour and rename all the others except the one....

http://www.pantung.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=&TOPIC_ID=251

...EXPLAINS EVERY THING!

It works for me

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2003, 04:10:56 PM »

Hi,

rghasenohr, your link above is not working right now.

This issue was discussed here with more details from http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;175722

Sylvain Amyot

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: