MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: Can't install Windows XP Pro
June 06, 2020, 04:41:36 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2020, 04:41:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  We now offer MyTechSupport.ca Merchandise! Every purchase goes towards maintaining our site.
Thank you for supporting MyTechSupport.ca!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can't install Windows XP Pro  (Read 2227 times)
spireite

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2003, 09:01:28 PM »

os currently Windows 98se
Computer is a Packard Bell platinum 8gb HDD
Packard Bell Motherboard
Intel P3 450
128mb Ram
Goldstar DVD-Rom
Sony CDRW

Hi,
Don't know if it is legal or not but I recently purchased  Windows XP Pro, second hand. It is not a pirate and came complete with certificate.

I installed the os no problems on my computer, the problems started when I went to install it on my daughters.
It boots okay, a system compatability check tells me a pci card will not work ( not bothered about that I will sort it later) I go to clean install, agree to the license, enter the key code and setup starts copying files to the hard drive. I then get a message "To setup windows xp now press enter". I press enter and then get the death message. "Insert XP Professional CD-ROM into your CD-ROM drive. press ENTER when ready". Well the cd is already in and no ammount of pressing, swearing or threats of physical violence to the pc will get the setup procedure to resume. I have been onto the Microsoft site for known problems, Packard Bell (total waste of good bandwidth) and Goldstar/LG but have come up with nothing. Please help before I result to throwing the pc out the window.

SadSadSadSadSadSadSadSadSadSadSadSadSadSadSadSadSad

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2003, 03:29:09 PM »

Hi,

After you enter the CD Key, are you also asked to enter the activation key?

Windows XP is licensed for use on a single PC. It cannot be installed on more than one PC without purchasing additional licenses. It can be re-installed and activated on the same PC an unlimited number of times.

Read about Microsoft Product Activation

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
spireite

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2003, 10:09:26 AM »

Wheb I purchased the disc I was told that it had been used but was now removed from the pc and no longer the os.
When I installed it on my pc at no time was I asked to activate it, I was only asked for the key code. If I removed it from my pc and just loaded it on my daughters pc then it would still not load past the section I described earlier so I still would be unable to activate it as it is not loaded.AngryUndecidedHuh?

spireite

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2003, 10:12:20 AM »

Sorry Admin.....
And no it does not ask me for an activation key.Embarrassed

spireite

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2003, 06:44:50 PM »

Hold the front page.
After another few futile attempts at loading xp, I decided to disconnect the DVD-Rom drive, make my CDRW the master and try again.
No Problemo, the OS installed first time without hesitation. So word of warning to anybody else having problems trying to load XP from a DVD drive, forget it and use the good old CD-Rom instead.
Grin     Grin     Grin     Grin     Grin     Grin     Grin     Grin

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2003, 01:35:16 PM »

Hi,

That's great! Glad you solved your problem! Grin

Thanks for the update!

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: