MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Laptop wont boot. Insert system disk.
June 02, 2020, 03:28:44 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2020, 03:28:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
12th Anniversary Celebrating 12 Years! (1997 - 2009) 12th Anniversary
Thanks to ALL that make this site what it is!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Laptop wont boot. Insert system disk.  (Read 3142 times)
azaufc

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2003, 11:04:25 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:Possibly win98?
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:Dell Latitude D800
Error Messages:Insert system disk

Angry Hi everyone, i recently bought a Dell Latitude D800 Laptop seconhand (5 months old). The problem i was having previously was that when i turned on the power, it would go to a screen and say "Insert system disk, press any key." I inserted a win 98 cd rom, and went through until after a short time, it said "Not enough free space etc.." I was then taken to a dos prompt. (C:\) I tried a few things differently, but had no luck.
Now, for some reason after power up, i am taken to the first win98 startup promt. It says "1. Boot from hdd.   2. Boot from cd rom.  Enter choice." I cannot get past this point, weather i have a windows disk or not. I am very puzzled. The laptop does not have floppy diskette drive by the way. Can anybody give me any suggestions? Can i format the drive somehow? Any help would be very greatly appreciated! Thank very much in advance.
Kind regards Aaron Cool

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2003, 03:48:19 PM »

Hi,

Sounds like the hard drive is not ebing recognized. Try to enter the BIOS Setup (usually the <DEL> key on power up), and verify that the hard drive is properly configured (and recognized). Also make sure the hard drive is properly inserted to its connector (may be a small tray on the bottom or trap door)

Can you tell if the drive spins up?

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
azaufc

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2003, 08:53:56 AM »

Hi Sylvain, thanks for you swift reply.
I am not sure how to enter the BIOS on this computer, at start up i am given two options: F2 = setup   and    F12 boot menu. When i go to Boot menu, i am given 4 options: Internal HDD, CD/DVD/CD-rw Drive, Cardbus NIC and Diagnostic. When i go to Diagnostic, i get taken through a full system diagnostic, everything is apparantly ok. If i choose any of the other options, i am taken to the first screen i talked about, win98 startup menu.
I looked underneath the unit at what i beleive is the C drive, i wiggled it around and made sure it was in tight but still no change.
WHen i enter setup at start up, i am taken to several pages of descriptions, pc specs etc.. although i cant change anything that i think may help. Does anyone know much about This type of system, or even Pentium M (which this is.)
Any help is very appreciated.
Aaron

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2003, 06:48:25 PM »

Hi,

To enter setup on your system use the <F2> key and look for the hard drive settings. Select your drive and look at its settings. Is there an auto-detect feature (sometime hitting <ENTER> on the drive will perform a hard drive detect)? Is it recognized?

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
azaufc

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2003, 11:13:37 AM »

Hi, thankyou for your assistance.
Before you replied to my posting,i decided that  i will just format my drive partition and start over. (I have been trying to get it going for so long now.)
I am somewhat a novice when it comes to drive partitioning etc.. so i am not 100% sure that i did it correctly. The format was successful, so i decided to install Windows 2000.

I went through with Win2000 installation and completed it. The big problem i am now having, is that my screen area in windows is only in 16 colours, and screen size is only 640 x 480 pixles. These values cannot be changed at all. I understand that obviously some drivers, or necissary files were needed. I do not have any drivers for the system, as it was recently stolen from me then recovered with no original software etc..

My question is this: How do i turn my system into a brand new factory exported machine, that i can just put a Windows operating system and enjoy the benefits of my machine? I have no personal or important data that i need worry about.
Please help me!

Thankyou for your time, and assistance.
Kind regards
Aaron

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2003, 02:55:51 PM »

Hi,

Did the system originally come with some sort of recovery CD? If so, this is the only way to get it back to a "brand new factory exported machine". I would contact DELL to see if they would ship you a copy.

If it didn't and all that you had was the Microsoft Windows installation CD with other CDs, then you have to re-install from scratch, like you did with Win2K. You will need to download and install drivers from DELL for some devices like your video card, perhaps network card or modem, sound card....

https://support.dell.com/productselection.aspx

Sylvain Amyot

azaufc

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2003, 08:06:26 AM »

I see, thankyou for your help. I will let you know how i go, after i try that.

Best wishes
Aaron

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2003, 07:56:54 PM »

Any Luck?

Sylvain Amyot

azaufc

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2003, 07:27:19 AM »

Well, i looked around on Dell's forum site, and Dell do not give copies of the systems recovery CD. With this in mind, i checked Ebay etc.., with no luck. So, i have format and repartioned my whole drive instead! Although now i only have C drive. I cannot access my cd rom drive, unless i boot from the CD at start up. Then cd rom is A drive until, i eject the disc. If i try to access A drive or D drive, i am told that drive no longer exists. Obviously i went wrong in partitioning and formatting.
WOuld you agree?

Thanks again.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2003, 03:21:59 PM »

Hi,

Do you have Windows installed?
If not ,boot off the Windows CD and setup should start

Sylvain Amyot

azaufc

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2003, 09:39:06 AM »

Hi,
I just reinstalled Windows 98, with no huge dramas. How do i recreate me cd rom drive as D: drive again?

In "My computer", where it says the drives, it states removable disc A:,(even though there is no floppy drive.) C:, D:, and also E: drives.
If i click on A drive, i am prompted that A:\ is not accessible, the device is not ready. The C: drive icon is how it should be when i double click, (shows program files etc..) D: drive however appears to be a hard drive aswell, and so does E:.
I followed Fdisk directions exactly as i read them, creating primary extended, and logical partitions etc..
Please help an Idiot out of his mess, thanks alot!!!!!
Very much appreciated.

Aaron

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2003, 05:10:48 PM »

Hi,

If you created and extended partition with two logical drives then you would have a C:, D: and E: drive. If this is what you want, then there is no problem with that. Your cdrom drive will become the F: drive since cdrom drive letters are always assigned after all hard drives.

If the cdrom drive is not accessible, then verify Device Manager for any devices with a yellow dot. What are they? Is there a cdrom drive listed in Device Manager?

Sylvain Amyot

azaufc

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2003, 01:06:05 PM »

Hi,
    In device manager, it does not list the DVD/CD drive. The only time i can access the  cd rom drive is when i boot from a start up, or troubleshooting disk. Like i said, it is shown as A: drive in the dos prompt. I have tried every other letter as a drive, but the only ones that come up are the D:(HD) E:(HD) and C:(HD). If i try A: with no startup disk etc.. it says insert disk in drive A, press any key. Then says drive no longer valid.

I must say that i am lost, and giving up hope. I have downloaded  drivers onto a cd and tried to extract them to the hard drive some how, but it does not read form the cd at start up, unless it is a bootable cd.

I would reccomend to anyone to NEVER EVER BUY A COMPUTER WITH NO FLOPPY DRIVE!

What do you suggest? I am very troubled with this, and am thinking of putting the damn thing on Ebay or something!
Thanks for your help.

bbhagrid

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2003, 01:56:55 PM »

give this site a try

http://support.dell.com/filelib/criteria.aspx?c=us

also get a copy of win98 bootdisk and put it on a cd since it has no floppy and when you bootup with that in the cdrom type "sys c:"  without the quote marks and then check c drive for mscdex which is a driver for the cdrom

hope this helps

When I die, I want to die like my grandmother, who died peacefully
in her sleep.  Not screaming like all the passengers in her car.

Brian
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2003, 03:14:35 PM »

Any luck with this?

Sylvain Amyot

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: