MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Clicking noise
June 06, 2020, 04:13:41 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2020, 04:13:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  New Poll on our main page!
"My experience with Vista..."
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Clicking noise  (Read 1182 times)
The Irrepressable Duffman

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2003, 08:49:37 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:Windows ME
Problem Application Name & Version:N/A
Problem Hardware Make & Model:NEC DV-5700A
Error Messages:NONE

Hello, I was just wondering if you could help me with a little problem I have with my DVD drive? Sometimes for about a week or two, whenever I play games (but not music cd's) an odd clicking noise comes from the DVD drive (or possibly the hard drive, I'm not certain which) and the computer hangs. Then for a long time there won't be any problem, but every time it comes back it seems to go on longer, every day for weeks unable to run games. I've tried using scandisk, but it won't complete. I've checked for all kinds of conflicts, but I can't find any. I've switched on and off DMA, everything. The closest thing to an error message I ever got was when the problem once occurred during startup, and it was recommended that I run scanreg. I did, and it detected no problems. I figure it may be a physical problem. Any ideas?

Also, I have never experienced the problem playing movies on DVD, it only ever seems to happen when the drive speeds up while loading/playing a game.

posted by Graeme, Worldy Knight and acceptor of Leprechaun Chemical Theories.
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2003, 02:49:17 PM »

Hi,

I would check the hard drive for bad sectors. If scandisk fails to complete, try running it in Safe-Mode. Hit the <F8> key during boot up (right before the logo screen) to access the boot menu and once in Windows, run a "Thorough" scan of scandisk.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2003, 08:32:36 PM »

Ok, thanks man!

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2003, 08:48:20 PM »

OK, so i discovered that the scandisk problem wasn't related to the clicking noise. I've solved the scandisk problem. However, the clicking noise persists, and I think I know why...during scandisk, the program asked me what to do about files which appeared to be in the wrong place, and I was presented with the options to "truncate" (no idea what that means), or delete or ignore. I deleted. In doing that, one of the games which was causing this problem to occur would not load correctly as one of the files that needed truncating must have been important to it. I could see that it was from the games folder but not which file it actually was. Anyhoo, I reinstalled the game, and no problemo. Then, 15 minutes into it, I saved the game and there ya go, instantly the clicking began when I resumed play. I then remembered that this problem had also occurred with games with similar types of save options. So, the saves of certain games cause this problem, or so it seems. Any ideas how I can stop this from happening?

p.s. before there were no error messages, but when i waited this time for a bit, a blue screen of death appeared with "disk write error" on it. If you could help it would be greatly appreciated, as I'm trying to sell this hunk of ****, and repairs seem necessary...

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2003, 05:42:58 PM »

Hi,

Backup your important files now! Seems like your hard drive has problems reading a particular part of the drive but scandisk did not mark it bad because it eventually was able to read it. Sometime soon though, scandisk will not be able to read it and eventually mark those sectors bad. Whatever data is on that bad part of the drive could be lost. It would appear that your saved game is on this portion of the drive that is 'going'.

If the drive is still under warranty, get it replaced right away (with a data transfer to the new drive of course). If not, consider replacing it, or at least moving your data (e.g. documents, saved files...) to floppy, cdrw or another physical drive and know that it will eventually fail.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: