MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: PLEASE HELP! CONFUSED!! :)
August 24, 2019, 05:55:35 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 24, 2019, 05:55:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
Help us help you! Help us help you by helping out! The more people know about us, the more help will be available. Click here to find out how...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PLEASE HELP! CONFUSED!! :)  (Read 887 times)
hockeyasu

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: October 29, 2003, 01:52:41 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Win 98
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model: AMD Athlon 1800xp / self built
Error Messages:

Guys I need some serious help if you would be nice enoguh Smiley  I have only built one computer in my time so I guess i'm still very new to this, but I did build it over a year ago and everythign has worked perfectly at all times, until recently.  the other day I started up fine without any problems and the computer froze on me within say 10 minutes of starting windows.  Now the computer always either starts in safe mode and I must go thorugh that then I can start in normal mode, or I start in normal mode, either way the computer always freezes on me in 10 sconds to 10 minutes.  I thought maybe reformatting the hard drive and re-installign everything would be helpful, but it has not.  Now if anyone could clue me in on other ideas to try that would be great, as I don't exactly have the funds to run it to my local shop and have them take a look at it right away.  Thanks in advance!

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2003, 02:31:11 PM »

Hi,

Read: System Lock Ups

Sounds to me like an overheating problem. Check that all your fans are spinning, especially the CPU fan and that it is well attached to the CPU.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Haith

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2003, 02:47:23 PM »

I agree with Admin.  A quick way to verify is to take the case cover off if you are comfortable with doing this (I assume you are since you built it :-) and positioning a desktop or other personal fan so that it blows air on the CPU heatsink.  If the problem goes away or even if it doesn't occur as quickly, heat is your likely cause so then you can upgrade your case cooling.

Professional computer geek that loves the outdoors moreso!
Computer worker...console gamer!
hockeyasu

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2003, 11:13:38 PM »

You guys are AWESOME!  Thank you! Smiley  but one more stupid question, assuming this problem is heat related which I do believe it is, once I get sufficient cooling will any of my hardware have permanent damage?

Haith

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2003, 02:36:32 PM »

It is possible but i doubt it.  Most critical systems do have some temperature fault settings built in.  The hardware most effected would be the CPU and some components attached to the motherboard.  The chances of hardware like harddrives, DVD etc being effected is slim to none.
Unfortunately you won't know until you try, but please let us know how it all works out!

Professional computer geek that loves the outdoors moreso!
Computer worker...console gamer!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: