MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: frozen in the sleep mode
August 20, 2019, 03:49:51 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 20, 2019, 03:49:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: frozen in the sleep mode  (Read 1060 times)
Kbrew

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2003, 01:17:39 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: xp home
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model: Compaq Presario 6016us
Error Messages:

As luck would have it, my one year warranty was up October 12, and on Oct 16th, I left the machine running while I watched the final innings of the Sox/Yanks in game 7 and when I came back it was in the sleep mode. It would not wake up. It will not shut down with the button. When I turn the power off and back on, the computer comes back on in the same mode. The lights all come on. The fans are blowing. But the hard drive isn't clicking. Nothing is sending to the monitor. I've tried several options to restart, and nothing works. I can't check the BIOS cause I can't get there.
I'm not experienced in the finer points of "what makes it tick", but can change out parts. I've replaced hard drives, modems, memory, and cards. I'm wondering if this problem is power supply switch, or mobo? Got any suggestions?

Haith

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2003, 04:08:57 PM »

Couple of things to try.  Be aware though that a Google search turned up a lot of similar reports on Compaq.

Some general things to try regardless of brand...
Check power and IDE connections to your hard drive.
Power management, which is responsible for sending your computer into Standby, oftentimes conflicts or doesn't like USB devices and peripherals.
So first thing I'd try is to disconnect ALL peripherals from the computer and try rebooting.  
If you are using a surge protector, try booting without it.  Sometimes surge protectors die gradually as they take hits. It could be delivering power but not quite enough power for normal operation.
If that is not successful, depending on your comfort level, I would disconnect power and remove the CMOS battery for at least 30 seconds.  (Test the battery or replace it with a fresh one while you're at it).  Try rebooting with the new battery.
If those things are unsuccessful, and if no other advice received, then I'd call Compaq.
Hope it helps...I know it's frustrating.

Professional computer geek that loves the outdoors moreso!
Computer worker...console gamer!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: