MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Security & Viruses arrow Topic: Viruses
August 24, 2019, 05:43:32 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 24, 2019, 05:43:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  We now offer MyTechSupport.ca Merchandise! Every purchase goes towards maintaining our site.
Thank you for supporting MyTechSupport.ca!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Viruses  (Read 1968 times)
Dsherm112

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2003, 08:23:10 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: W2KP
Problem Application Name & Version:Norton AV 2003 V 6.01 Updated daily
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

I recently switched from a major ISP to a small ISP that uses Dial Up Networking. Since the switch I have been hit with numerous virus alerts. Norton AV has caught most, but not all of them.

I have seen Backdoor.IRC.Zcrew.B, W32.Valla.2048, W32.Randex.Q and others. Is it common for viruses to be more of a problem on the small ISP's. Many of these pop of while on E-Bay. Is this coincidence, or are they imbedded in auction pages?

Thanks,

Sherm

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2003, 07:19:33 PM »

Hi,

Is it Norton Antivirus reporting this or Norton Firewall?

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Dsherm112

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2003, 08:29:05 PM »

NAV is making the reports.

Sherm

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2003, 08:44:31 PM »

Hi,

Are you downloading something when these warning pop-up?
Can you give us a screen shot?

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Dsherm112

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2003, 12:29:25 AM »

I'll take a shot the next time it occurs. But it's just a NAV screen telling which virus it found. The viruses are listed in the initial post. There are some Trojan Horse's that are not being picked up, but do show up when I scan. I don't understand that.

I'm not downloading, they seem to mostly show up while loading pages on E-bay. I don't know if there is a connection or not.

Thanks,

Sherm

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2003, 03:17:22 PM »

Hi,

Do you have a firewall installed? I would install one to block the ports trojans look for that are opened.

Sylvain Amyot

Dsherm112

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2003, 03:44:18 PM »

Sylvain,

I didn't think a firewall was needed with Dial Up. Could you please explain what route they are accessing? What does a Firewall do that NAV doesn't?

Thanks,

Sherm

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2003, 04:22:17 PM »

Hi,

A personal firewall keeps hackers out and personal data in. It allows or disallows traffic coming in and going out. Therefore if a trojan scans your system for open ports, a good firewall will return no results since they're blocked and the trojan cannot be installed. If there is no firewall, the trojan may find an open port and install itself, an antivirus program may not detect it until it is already installed.

Usually dial-up connections are a bit safer because your IP address assigned by your ISP may change everytime you connect. But you may find that your ISP 'leases' your IP for a week before assigning you a new one. Therefore if you're on the internet for an extended period of time during a week period, it gives hackers/trojans a better chance of finding you since your IP doesn't change for that period.

A firewall is definitely a good thing if you spend alot of time connected to the internet and you have confidential data on your system.

Hope I am explaining myself correctly!

Sylvain Amyot

Dsherm112

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2003, 04:34:35 PM »

Thanks for the info. I'll get a Firewall asap.

Sherm

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2003, 07:25:13 PM »

Glad to help! Grin

Sylvain Amyot

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: