MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Internet & Email arrow Topic: Internet but not broadband - cables
July 19, 2019, 03:43:06 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 19, 2019, 03:43:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
Article Writers We are looking for quality, informational articles to add to our Computer Articles
Please contact us if you are interested in submitting some....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Internet but not broadband - cables  (Read 2393 times)
Sean

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2003, 12:09:37 PM »

Right,

I have currently just bought a new PC and have been waiting for the internet (provider). They have activated my account so I should beable to access broadband...but I can't.

I later found out that I needed microfilters, so I bought them and still it doesnt work.

I have a modem connector thing because I can access the normal dial up internet. But the connector fints in the microfilter (one way) but then the other side does not AND when I go on the dial up, the part of the connector that now fits into the microfilter did fit into the back of the PC but NOW the other side that did fit into the phone line does not fit in the microfilter?

I have no idea. Any ideas?

It's BT broadband.

Hope I made some sense out of all that.

Thanks, Sean

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2003, 07:41:10 PM »

Hi,

Wow, I am suprised your provider did not supply you with the microfilters and you had to buy them! Must be different here in Canada!

Anyways, are you sure you have the right microfilters? Were they purchased from BT Broadband?

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Sean

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2003, 12:00:47 PM »

Yes I did buy them from BT broadband but they charged me for them, so I bought them seperate really. Anyway, it should work because I purchased them from BT broadband.

One part of the modem cable fits perfectly into the microfilter but then the side that normally (before I got the microfilter) fits into the wall socket thing of course does not fit into the back (or front) of the computer?

Thanks,

Sean

Haith

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2003, 03:38:51 PM »

Probably harder for us to visualize in North America due to differences that might exist in the UK.
Sylvain, I am suspecting a mix of telephone and RJ-45 connectors.  There may be an adapter or different Microfilter required.  Have you called BT support or better still if it's possible, take your connections and modem to their office and see if they can hook it up to their wall.

Professional computer geek that loves the outdoors moreso!
Computer worker...console gamer!
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2003, 03:56:48 PM »

Hi,

Is your setup something like this:

Simply replace the phone by your computer's modem and connect your phone (if there is one) into the modem's other port.

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Sean

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2003, 12:00:56 PM »

Yes it is exactly like that, but the modem connector that goes from the modem into the microfilter will not fit in both ends (both microfilter & PC). One end will fit in both while the other end will not fit it any (apart from wall without microfilter).

I am really stuck & I need the internet soon. Smiley

Thanks,

Sean

Haith

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2003, 01:24:26 PM »

Sylvain, I'm thinking his modem may have an RJ-45 jack but the microfilter has a phone jack (RJ-11 I think).
Sean does your modem just have the one output?  
There are basically 2 main sizes of the connectors.  The smaller of them is the typical phone line connector.  The bigger is used for network connections etc (RJ-45).  
I am thinking your microfilter has 2 phone type connction plug-ins.  Your modem output is the bigger RJ45 connection.
Most DSL modems have 2 outputs on the back, phone type and RJ45 type.  What does yours have?

Sean

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2003, 11:59:41 AM »

Thanks for replying.

I am at work at the moment so I cant check until tonight (and reply tomorrow) but yes the modem connector does have two different sized ends.

Sean

Haith

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2003, 07:53:12 PM »

Have you joined us in broadband land Sean?

Sean

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2003, 11:58:16 AM »

Yes but not BT broadband. I eventually got through to someone who knew what they were talking about and they are sending me something through the post on thursday so it should all be sorted out then, I hope.

Thanks,

Sean

Haith

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2003, 03:19:07 PM »

Yes I was expecting you were given incorrect adapters or cables or something along those lines.
Thanks for updating us.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2003, 03:42:10 PM »

Hi,

Let us know how the new microfilters work out!

Sylvain Amyot

Sean

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2003, 11:59:49 AM »

Well, they were wrong... I did need a disc to install etc.I went out and bought a microfilter and new cables etc and then they change their minds and say... you do need and disc and microfilters. pff.

Anyway it is up and running.

Thanks for your help,

Sean

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2003, 05:16:00 PM »

Hi,

Glad you got things sorted out! Grin

Sylvain Amyot

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: