MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Internet & Email arrow Topic: OE 6.0 and error at start "msimn"..
August 24, 2019, 05:27:29 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 24, 2019, 05:27:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
12th Anniversary Celebrating 12 Years! (1997 - 2009) 12th Anniversary
Thanks to ALL that make this site what it is!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: OE 6.0 and error at start "msimn"..  (Read 2029 times)
amren

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2003, 12:42:55 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:MS 98SE
Problem Application Name & Version:OE 6.0
Problem Hardware Make & Model:Mitac 8170 Portable
Error Messages:

I can not open up OE.......It will not appear any error message, just stopping when the OE logo is on the screen. When looking into Task Manger it shows "msimn (not answering).

I have reinstalled the OE, but still same problem.......

Thank you for advice,
Ambj

Haith

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2003, 03:33:27 PM »

Not much to go on there but a couple of thoughts/questions/theories.
What version Internet Explorer are you running?  If you are running below version 6.0 Explorer, upgrade and it might resolve it.

Did anything change which caused it not to work.  For example, if it worked on Saturday but not on Sunday, did you download any programs etc on Saturday?

A virus is another possibility as is corruption in your OE (Outlook Express).

Run a virus scan and spyware checker as well.

Hope this helps but keep us informed if it doesn't so we can keep the suggestions coming.

Professional computer geek that loves the outdoors moreso!
Computer worker...console gamer!
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2003, 03:58:18 PM »

Hi,

Does it work in Diagnostics Startup Mode?

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
amren

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2003, 04:24:47 PM »

Thank you for advice.
I have been runing both spy-ware and virus program and they did not find anything. I also try to start OE (I have the latest version of Explorer and OE) in Diagnostics, but go the same problem........This time I try to start OE from the Program folder, clicking on "msim"....The logo was visible, but then it haltet and when I look in Task Manaager I got the information "msim (do not answer)....Maybe I should sve the files and register and than re-install and install OE again???

amren

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2003, 04:41:40 PM »

quote:
Originally posted by Admin

Hi,

Does it work in Diagnostics Startup Mode?

Thank you for advice.
I have been runing both spy-ware and virus program and they did not find anything. I also try to start OE (I have the latest version of Explorer and OE) in Diagnostics, but go the same problem........This time I try to start OE from the Program folder, clicking on "msim"....The logo was visible, but then it haltet and when I look in Task Manaager I got the information "msim (do not answer)....Maybe I should sve the files and register and than re-install and install OE again???

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2003, 04:56:12 PM »

Hi,

If OE will not start in Diagnostics Startup Mode, then I suspect either your identity or your store folder files are corrupted.

If you don't care loosing you existing email messages:

1. Open Windows Explorer and go to: C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Identities\
2. Rename the folder that looks like {11613F60-0DD5-11D7-926C-AE7911E5132A} to {11613F60-0DD5-11D7-926C-AE7911E5132A}.bak (add .bak to the end)
3. Open Outlook
4. New Outlook DBX files will be created in a new {11613F60-0DD5-11D7-926C-AE7911E5132A} folder

Try to import your old messages:

1. In Outlook, Files > Import > Messages...
2. Select "Microsoft Outlook Express 6"
3. Select "Import mail from a OE6 store directory" and hit OK
4. Browse to old identity folder "C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Identities\{11613F60-0DD5-11D7-926C-AE7911E5132A}.bak\Microsoft\Outlook Express" and hit NEXT

If this works then you will have your old messages, if not at least Outlook is running!

PLEASE NOTE: The {11613F60-0DD5-11D7-926C-AE7911E5132A} folder is just an example, your folder will be different

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
amren

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2003, 08:50:28 AM »

Sorry for a late replay to the suggestion from Sylvain (due to my travelling). Im glad to report that his suggestion helped me out of this critical problem.
It also turn out so that it was the folder "Inbox" which was corrupted. I succed to save them to by using a small program "DBXtract" I found via Internet, a prgram which can help to restore and safe mails.
So I think this solution can be very helpful for lot of people.
I can add that runing "DBXtract" took about 12 hours!!!I dont know why, but I dont care as it helped me to save 10.000 messages.
Thank you so much for support......

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2003, 04:24:39 PM »

Hi,

That's great! Glad you got your problem solved! Grin

For those looking for this utility, I found it at:
http://www.oehelp.com/DBXtract/Default.aspx

Sylvain Amyot

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: