MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: Recieving Error
December 09, 2019, 10:56:18 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 09, 2019, 10:56:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Looking for cheap hardware and/or software?
Visit our new Online Store where you will be able to purchase from a reputable vendor by country.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Recieving Error  (Read 877 times)
phantasypoet

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2003, 05:09:51 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: WAS Windows 98 SE
Problem Hardware Make & Model: Using an OLD Dell PC
Error Messages: No Fixed Disk Found

Okay let me start from the beginning.  I was trying to install a second hard drive on my computer.  You know me being you average guy I figured I could do it.  Wrong!  Well after trying about 5 times I gave up, and then my CD-ROM was gone.  I tried to fidn the drivers for it and couldn't.  I decided I would format the second hard disk drive, and ended up formatting both drives.  Now I can't even set-up partitions from my windows 98 boot disk.  Everytime I run FDISK I receive the same error message.  

NO FIXED DISK FOUND

Well I purchased another CD-ROM because the original with the computer would not load with the driver from the 98 boot disk.  I can get the NEW CD-ROM Drive to work, but when I try to install Windows 98 I get a message the I need to run FDISK and create an MS-DOS partition on my hard drive.  Well, then we get back to the problem at hand.  

phantasypoet

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2003, 05:36:39 AM »

Actaully the exact error message is:

No fixed disk present

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2003, 05:16:16 PM »

Hi,

If FDISK can't find your hard drives then either they are jumpered incorrectly or your BIOS hard drive setting are wrong.

If both drives are on the same ribbon cable, set the drive you want as the boot drive (C: drive) as master and the other to slave. This is done by moving a small plastic cap over the correct pegs on the back of the drive. There is usually a diagram on the hard drive label showing what position the jumper has to be for the master/slave setting.

Once this is done, go into the BIOS Setup (usually the <DEL> key during system power up) and make sure the hard drive parameters for the primary master and slave are either set to AUTO or use the BIOS setup Auto-Detect Hard Drive features and select the option using LBA Mode. Save and exit.

Now FDISK should recognize both drives and allow you to partition them.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
phantasypoet

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2003, 06:31:59 PM »

Okay I got the issue resolved with the hard drives not booting, but now I'm having issues installing Windows 98 SE, so that I can use my computer again.  It goes through all the checking procedures, and making a start disk (which it will not do, but I have donwloaded one from bootdisk.com), and then hangs right before it starts instilation.  I turned the computer off because it seemed to have froze, and when I use the boot disk it tells me no system disk or disk error.... etc.  I have yet to try and use the boot disk I made from bootdisk.com, but was wondering if there could potentally be another issue.

Reguarding the first issue, I had to replace the IDE cable, and then worked just fine.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2003, 07:43:08 PM »

Hi,

Since Windows setup did not complete, it did not transfer the boot files to your hard drive, therefore at this time, the drive is not bootable.

Try booting off the Win98 Startup Disk and run setup again.

At the A: prompt:

Type X: <ENTER> - where X is the drive letter assigned by MSCDEX during bootup
Type cd win98 <ENTER>
Type setup <ENTER>

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: