MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Power On/Off Problems
September 22, 2019, 06:31:53 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2019, 06:31:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Power On/Off Problems  (Read 825 times)
ssween

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2003, 11:41:04 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: W98SE

hey guys, don't know if anyone can help me, but here goes ....

PC working fine, shuts down and powers off ok - however, if i turn it back on, i can clearly hear the fan and disc (+disc read light on) but the monitor doesn't synch up and stays on the green flashing light.  Once this happens, the Power switch and reset button on the PC have no effect (tried holding for an extended period) and the only way to turn the base unit off is to take the plug out ... put the plug back in, and it returns to the same state (ie. pc seemingly doing something, and monitor with green flashing light)... I've tried leaving it unplugged for an hour, but it's still the same when I plug it back in - if I leave the base unit unplugged overnight and try the next day it returns to normal - it almost seems like somethings charged up, and it needs the time to discharge or something Huh??

Fyi, there are no device conflicts in System control panel, and Norton found no viruses....

Any help or pointers on where to look would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Sean
UK

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2003, 07:55:50 PM »

Hi,

I would make sure the CPU, memory, add-on cards, ribbon cables and power cables are well attached/seated. Could be heat related, make sure your CPU fan is well attached to the CPU and spinning.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
ssween

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2003, 06:11:36 PM »

thanks for the response Sylvain, I'll open it up tomorrow and see if anything looks displaced - the fan certainly seems to be running ok (normally, and also when this problem occurs) and there are no blockages on the back (i can feel air moving around the back) - do you think it could be something to do with the earthing ?? the reason i ask is that earlier, I turned it off, took the plug out and put it in again and it did start ok (tried the same thing later but again it failed to boot up) Huh?? heat would also make sense because it does seem that the longer i have the pc on, the longer it takes before i can turn it back on again ....

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2003, 06:42:20 PM »

Hi,

Are all your fans spinning, especially the CPU fan?

Are you connecting to a power bar? Maybe try directly into the wall socket.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: