MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Networking Problems arrow Topic: IRQ conflicts in Windows XP pro
September 22, 2019, 12:32:51 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2019, 12:32:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Looking for cheap hardware and/or software?
Visit our new Online Store where you will be able to purchase from a reputable vendor by country.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: IRQ conflicts in Windows XP pro  (Read 7671 times)
Beerman

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2003, 10:28:54 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows xp pro sp1
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model: Linksys pcmcia wireless G notebook adatpter. (WPC54G) in a laptop computer.
Error Messages: No error message just locks up.

I am trying to set up a wired and wireless network. Well actually I have the wired part working great. Using Linksys WRT54G Router. I have 2 PCs set up working fine. Also I can plug in my laptop and it works fine when wired. But when I try to run it with the wireless adapter it will ping the network and ping the internet but when I click on anything that uses the internet like internet explorer, outlook express, or even try to look at other computers on the network. The computer locks up. The only way out is to shut it down. I have tried the different varitions of selective start up. I was going to try to change the IRQ for the network adapter as the pcmcia controller and the card are sharing the same IRQ 17. But in the resources tab it is all grey and cannot be changed. Also shared on IRQ17 are IEE 1394 controller and 1394 network. I have tried disabling these and disabling the ethernet connection. still locks up. I hope you can help me.

Beerman

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2003, 05:01:14 PM »

Well I guess I either stumped the Guru or I didn't supply enough information. I talked with tech support at Linksys and they said that as long as I could ping the internet and the router that their part is done. And they believe it may be an IRQ conflict but would not help with windows problems. So I am back to where I was, unable to change the IRQ in windows xp pro sp1.

Evan

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2003, 05:36:51 PM »

Hi,

Since you can ping the other systems and ping the internet I suspect more of a driver problem than IRQ conflict. Did you install the lastest drivers for your wireless adapter from the Linksys site?

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Beerman

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2003, 11:19:03 PM »

I installed the drivers for the pc card 3 times with the drivers that came on the cd. These drivers are a newer version than what is on the Linksys web site. One other thing I found out after looking around in windows xp there is a networking troubleshooter. Inside the log it was saying that the packet size was to small that was expected. I went back through the settings for the router everything looks correct. I even changed some things that I was unsure about and still locks up the laptop. So reset everything back to what I had prevously set. Do you know anything about the packet size? and how to correct this?
Thanks   Evan

Beerman

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2003, 02:18:45 PM »

I downloaded the drivers from linksys and had to froce Windows xp to use them as they were older than the ones already installed. After instlation booted and the network card would not see any local area netowork. What ever I did I was unable to see a net work. So I reinstalled the drivers that came with the adapter and was back to where I am now. I am able to send 1 small e-mail and recieve 1 small e-mail through outlook express but if it is more it locks up the laptop. If I click on internet explorer it locks up the laptop as the page is opening. I tried Linksys tech support again no help as I can ping the internet and the network. They say it is an IRQ problem and cannot help with that. Do you have any suggestions that I can try. I am running out of things to try.
Thanks Evan.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2003, 03:21:35 PM »

Hi,

You need to have the WPA patch for Windows XP, which can be downloaded Microsoft's Knowledgebase Q815485.

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Beerman

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2003, 03:08:39 PM »

I had installed that update from the windows update page. But I went and got it again. Still the same on the laptop. I also found in the network configurator in the log it has alot of messages about "irpstacksize" to small. The dates are on the days I have tried to use the Linksys adapter. Does this have anything to do with my problem? I sure appreciate all your help.
Evan

smithhayward

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2004, 05:49:42 PM »

I have a similar problem with Linksys Tech Support.  I've been helping a family member get their Wireless-G network setup.  Router and wired PC were easy (meaning that it finally worked when I realized that with AOL for Broadband you have to have AOL running or otherwise all you can do is DNS Lookups)

I put the Wireless-G card in his Compaq Presario 900 laptop and the darn thing wont load windows.  First reboots by itself, then makes you choose "Start Normally" or the various safe-mode options.  If you choose Start Normally, you get the loading screen until you remove the network card.  Replaced the Wireless network adapter, same problem.  Put new network card in an IDENTICAL (Hardware) laptop (purchased the same day and has the same upgrades to RAM) and it works. The only difference is that the one that it works in is WinXP Pro, and the other is XP Home.  Linksys said to us that it sounds like a IRQ problem as well, and they were transfering me to a level 2 tech, then 30 minutes later the line was disconnected. (by mistake?)

So now I have to call them back, and figure this thing out.  I will post my findings for the good of the public.  Maybe we'll just return all of the linksys equipment and purchase Micro$oft networking gear. :-p BLAH!!!

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2004, 06:01:49 PM »

Sorry to hear about your problems!

Let us know what Linksys says, I am interested in finding out the solution to this problem.

Sylvain Amyot

Pukat

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2004, 03:48:39 PM »

I am having the same problem with a Compaq Presario 906US laptop, XP Home OS.  The difference is I have tried Beldin, Netgear and another wireless card, also tried a gigabyte powerline networking card.  Same result, CPU drives to 100% and OS screams to a crawl.  Anyone have any help for this?  Thanks in advance..Sad

geoffm

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2006, 03:16:36 PM »

I'm having problems with a WPC54G on a Compaq Evo N1020v with XP Pro. As soon as I insert the card the whole laptop locks up - mouse, keyboard, everything. If I reboot (only by holding the power button down) it gets as far as the XP loading screen and again dies.

Contacting LinkSys support, I seem to get the same problem as everybody else - they're blaming it on the IRQ! But nothing conflicts with it, other devices work in the PCMCIA slot (there's only one slot), and the card admittedly does work on other laptops. They've also suggested contacting Microsoft (since when do they reply to emails or other support?) and Compaq (who quite rightly say the problem is isolated to the one card/driver as other devices work).

I can't change the IRQ for the PCMCIA slot as the option is greyed out.

The only other option is to wipe Windows and start again - maybe there are some dodgy drivers left over from something else. But I can't do this as the DVD drive is knackered! ****py Compaq laptops - that's the 2nd one gone this way, and
geoffm

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2006, 01:41:25 PM »

Sorted it. Their tech helpline kept saying "IRQ conflict" so I tried the live online chat... which also stated IRQ conflict. I disabled every other device that used IRQs such that only 10, the card slot itself, was enabled. Still he said "IRQ conflict". I stated the bleeding obvious, that there was NOTHING TO CONFLICT WITH! "It's still a conflict" - "With what?", I ask. "It's still a conflict"... you get the picture.

Anyway, it was sorted by downloading the latest system drivers from HP/Compaq (one in particular). I found that out from somebody who had the same laptop and card. It's a shame that Linksys tech support were (at least in this instance) completely useless.

Geoff M.
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2006, 10:00:39 PM »

I recommend you sending them a very polite email, with a heavily sarcastic undertone, where you tell them that you're grateful for their incredibly helpful advice and troubleshooting. Then of course outline how you came across the fix for the problem.

I'm pretty sure that heads are gonna roll there Wink

Good job Smiley

geoffm

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2006, 12:16:55 PM »

Have done so already! I was telling the bloke on the live chat what I was doing and he was telling me that it was a bad idea! Did it anyway and told the bloke that it worked, but he didn't have much to say after that...

Thanks

Geoff M.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: