MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Do you need a PSU >250w for Athlon XP2000+ Process
June 25, 2019, 09:17:00 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2019, 09:17:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
Help us help you! Help us help you by helping out! The more people know about us, the more help will be available. Click here to find out how...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do you need a PSU >250w for Athlon XP2000+ Process  (Read 1569 times)
bustitnote

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: November 16, 2003, 09:49:54 PM »

I am in the middle of helping a friend upgrade his pc. I have put in a Syntax SV266A mobo, an AMD Athlon XP2000+ Processor + cooling fan to match (upto XP3200+ I think) and 256Mb Crucial SDRAM, a Nvidia riva Graphics card and a Western 40Gb HDD. The pc already had a 250w PSU, CD-writer and FDD installed. I have set all jumpers correctly and rechecked god knows how many times. Everything seems in the right place but when I go to boot up the psu fan kicks in, the CPU fan kicks in, the HDD sounds as though its working but there is no POST beep and nothing comes on screen. The monitor doesn't even come out of standby. The FDD light comes on and stays on.
I ave been told that it could be the PSU not big enough to operate the CPU. I have been told that the AMD Athlon XP2000+ Processor  needs 300w+ PSU to operate. s this correct? Please help

Hurdy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2003, 11:35:39 PM »

I used a 240w PSU with my AMD 2000+ for ages.

Is your memory seated properly?

bustitnote

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2003, 07:13:50 AM »

Sad

Yes, all is fine. I have even tried a 350w PSU now and still no joy. My brother-inlaw has taken a look and he is a pc technician and he can't find anything wrong with the set-up. The damn thing just won't boot and/or POST. The fact I am using crucial SDram shouldn't make a differance should it? The mobo states both DDR & SDram can be used.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2003, 05:22:04 PM »

Hi,

If the FDD light stays on, the ribbon cable is reversed at one end, turn it around.

Also try powering up the board without any non-essential add-on cards. Also disconnect all ribbon cables at the motherboard end. Does the motherboard POST?

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
bustitnote

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2003, 07:14:04 AM »

Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried everything, I tried the cables in every position include all disconnected. I wondered if there was any conflict between the board and type of memory used. I have ended up returning the mobo to ebuyer.com. I was angry to find that I had to pay postage costs to return an item that was d.o.a! Fair enough they maybe cheap but there tech support wouldn't be able to give advice on how to use a post-it note, never mind anything to do with computers.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2003, 04:27:54 PM »

Hi,

I think you did a good thing returning the board! Wink

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: