MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: Microsoft word wont run
August 18, 2019, 08:01:33 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 18, 2019, 08:01:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
12th Anniversary Celebrating 12 Years! (1997 - 2009) 12th Anniversary
Thanks to ALL that make this site what it is!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Microsoft word wont run  (Read 1465 times)
prinderell

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: November 25, 2003, 01:36:40 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows 2000 professional
Problem Application Name & Version: Microsoft Word '97
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:none

Greetings
I recently bought a used tower from the local computer store, it's got a pentium 256. It came with a Windows 2000 OS, and had loaded on it Windows 2000 Professional, which includes among other things Word and Excel.
This computer is my sons "IM" / chat center computer and is used almost exclusively for that, but on the one day that he tried to write a paper on Word the program wouldn't load, and kept asking for the Windows 2000 disc. Since we bought it used we didn't get any disc, so that option was out. I had a copy of Office '97 on hand which I had bought years before, so I just figured I'd load that and use the version of Word that it had on it. The loading seemed to go fine, but when the icon is clicked to open Word we get an hourglass for about 2 seconds, then nothing. Click again, same hourglass, nothing.
Does anyone know what gives here?
Thanks
Gary Gable

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2003, 06:15:28 PM »

Hi,

Did you un-install Word 2000 before installing Word 97?

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
prinderell

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2003, 06:37:05 AM »

No. When I tried to uninstall I was prompted to install the Word 2000 disc, which I don't have. Apparently you have to have the original disc to do this. It seems as though the Windows 2000 programs are all there on the C drive, but I can neither get them to run or uninstall them.
Thanks
Gary

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2003, 03:46:25 PM »

Hi,

First of all, the computer store should not have sold you a PC with software installed without giving you the installation CD (if you purchased it) or they should have removed it! I don't think what they're doing is legal!

I would call them to either get the installation CD (especially if you paid for it!) or help you remove the illegal copy of MS Office 2000 from your system (at their cost of course!).

Since you cannot uninstall Office 2000 and installing Office 97 causes a conflict between both versions, you can either do what I suggested above or wipe your drive and re-install Windows!

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
prinderell

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2003, 02:26:45 AM »

Thanks for your reply. I'll call back the computer store again. I agree this is BS on their part. Thanks
Gary Gable

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2003, 03:17:09 PM »

Hi,

Let us know what they say and we can go from there.

Sylvain Amyot

prinderell

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2003, 10:53:34 PM »

Thanks for all the help. I took the thing back along with a Office 97 disk that I own. I asked them to try and get 2000 working first, but if that failed at least load my '97. They loaded '97  without uninstalling 2000, so while Word, Excel and the other programs from '97 all run I've used up almost half of my memory space. Oh well. In the end it's fine I guess, no extra charges.
Gary Gable

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2003, 03:18:26 PM »

Glad you got it working! Grin

Sylvain Amyot

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: