MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Networking Problems arrow Topic: Three computers using three LAN Cards
June 17, 2019, 05:56:37 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2019, 05:56:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Looking for cheap hardware and/or software?
Visit our new Online Store where you will be able to purchase from a reputable vendor by country.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Three computers using three LAN Cards  (Read 1128 times)
rimmet

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: November 25, 2003, 03:50:31 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:XP PRO
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:Network LAN Cards
Error Messages:

Hi

I curreently have two pcs networked in my home using a LAN card in each and connected together with crossed LAN cable. I have just got a laptop and I have a PCMCIA network card for it and another PCI LAN Card spare. I have hap my laptop workjing fine on my network but using the cable that goes to the second pc. I want to be able to add my laptop so it can have internet access and share my printer. I have tried putting the card in the secondary pc and hooking it up to my laptop but It says that the network cable is unplugged is this becuase it is not directly connected tot he internet. I am wondering whether if I put the spare LAN card in the main pc and rnd another LAN cable off that would it work. I don't reallym want to have to by a switch box becuase you have to use straight LAN cable with that which would mean I would have to by all new cable for the first to second pc which would be quite pricey for the distance it travels.

Is there a way I can put the spare LAN card into the seconf PC and run it off there becuase If I have to run a LAN Cable off the main I will have to buy a very expensive really long LAN Cable again.

Thanks For any help.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2003, 06:53:54 PM »

Hi,

Sorry I missed this thread!

I am not quite sure I follow! Are you trying to use cross-over cables between the three by having two network cards in one of the systems?

Which system has the modem that is connected to the internet?

Does the system with both network cards recognize them as 'working properly' in Device Manager?

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
rimmet

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2003, 10:28:42 AM »

Hi

My main system has the modem attached to it and that is at the top of my house. This has two network cards in it, 1 sharing to my second pc downstairs and 1 sharing to my laptop set next to it. What I want to do is move one of the network cards to the pc downstairs and share the internet to my laptop from that pc. I have tried this but I dowsn't seem to work. Any suggestions

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2003, 05:51:15 PM »

Hi,

When the two NICs are in the system downstairs, can the laptop and that system share files (is the network part working)?

What are you using to share the internet? (e.g. Internet Connections Sharing...)

If using ICS, then the master system with the modem attached needs to be on for the others to access the internet.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: