MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: lost all data on removable 250GB harddrive at boot
July 18, 2019, 04:36:07 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 18, 2019, 04:36:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  New Poll on our main page!
"My experience with Vista..."
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: lost all data on removable 250GB harddrive at boot  (Read 1092 times)
seba

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: November 26, 2003, 12:18:35 AM »

Operating System Version: xp sp1
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model: 250GB Matrox 5000XT harddrive
Error Messages: all data gone. Only hidden found.000 with no files in it. My computer still says free space 46,5 GB and total size 233GB

I guess the xp check at boot up has destroyed my fat32 on the removable drive?? any way to fix this. I have not written any data on the drive since the problem. I was thinking of trying to use norton utilities/system works for help. Any risk in that? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2003, 05:30:00 PM »

Hi,

What has changed since this happened? Did you recently install WinXP or WinXP SP1, was there any new software/hardware installed, did you update any drivers, did you clean any virus...?

Before using Norton Disk Doctor, you have to find out if the data is really missing or if something changed an is causing this problem.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
seba

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2003, 08:25:41 PM »

Hi,

thanks for taking the time to answer.
Nothing has really changed except I changed the way the maxtor removable hard drive is connected to the computer. I switched from USB 1 to firewire cable to get faster speed. It worked fine until I booted the machine. No new software has been installed for maybe a week. I use the computer every day. I tried to switch back to USB but no change.

Now even the found.000 folder is gone, but in the 'my computer' window it still shows that the drive should not be empty. Picture attached on this

Download Attachment: my-computer.gif 90.68 KB
Right click and select Save Target As... then rename the file as shown here and save.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2003, 08:37:14 PM »

Hi,

Found.000 folders are created by CHKDSK when problems are found with folders.
This is not a good thing!

I would suspect that the data is lost!

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: