MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: Cant re-install windows xp and cant even start up
June 26, 2019, 10:53:37 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2019, 10:53:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
12th Anniversary Celebrating 12 Years! (1997 - 2009) 12th Anniversary
Thanks to ALL that make this site what it is!
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cant re-install windows xp and cant even start up  (Read 4603 times)
WolfGang_uk

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2003, 06:54:09 PM »

someone....PLEASE HELP ME!?
i re-installed windows xp pro the other day cause there were to many errors in there so i decided to reinstall the whole operating software.
after the installtaion finished i downloaded all the updates from windows update and rebooted the computer, and thats when the problem started.computer rebooted i kept on receiving this blue error message
saying that windows has stopped the computer from starting up to prevent
damage of the computer and that i should restart the computer and so i did,
but i kept on receiving the message.
i rebooted it abt 12 times and the same thing happened.
it once started up without the error message and i thought it was going
to stop but all of a sudden the computer crashed, and it kept on happening.
i spent 4 hours trying to see the problem but i wasent an expert so i didnt
know what to do.
i think the problem was because i downloaded direct x 9.0 and i was suppose to reboot as soon as the installation finished but i also downloaded a few patches along with direct x so the computer got muggled up when it booted up.

i decided to reinstall windows xp again and so i did.
but now i cant install anything not even the operating system because the computer crashes in the middle of the installation.
i tried to "repair" it but even then it kept on crashing.
so baically i cant even use the computer anymore which is why im asking for someone to PLEASE HELP ME.
i cant even startup because i receive this error message saying that there are too many files missing.
can someone tell if if its possible to manually reset the whole computer by taking out the hardrive and then putting it back on.
if thats impossible then someone please tell me if theres any other way to reset the whole computer as i cant re-install windows anymore and i cant even startup windows

rjh111271

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2003, 07:03:07 PM »

formatting your hdd will remove everything from the drive
then clean install xp
i have installed xp a few times and sometimes get errors on install but just go and start again

WolfGang_uk

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2003, 10:42:10 PM »

how do i format the hdd cause i dont know how to do it.
like i said, i cant even get to the windows startup screen because everytime i reboot i get the option to re-install windows xp or continue start up windows normally, but even then i cant get it to start up as i receive this error message and it just stops windows from starting up to the main screen.
if any1 knows another way to reset the whole computer then PLEASE let me know as im in desperate need of help.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2003, 04:35:53 PM »

Hi,

Boot off the WinXP cd and when it asks where to install Windows, use the option to delete the partitions. Then recreate it (them) and select the first on (C:) for the location to install Windows.

PLEASE NOTE: All data from the hard drive will be wiped if you remove the partitions.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
NBC CHIEF

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2003, 09:30:49 PM »

To format your hdd try an old win boot floppy, go to the command prompt and type "format C:"

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2003, 05:38:02 PM »

Any luck with this?

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
WolfGang_uk

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2003, 09:24:30 PM »

nope, sorry guys.
i tried everything but i cant still fix the problem.
like i said i cant get to the start up screen cause the error messages stops the computer from starting up.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2003, 09:29:56 PM »

Do you get this error message when booting off the WinXP CD?

Sylvain Amyot

WolfGang_uk

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2003, 12:51:55 PM »

its no use booting from the cd cause even when its re-installing, it somehow crashes in the middle of the installation so i have to press the restart button.
i think the whole problem started when i downloaded the direct x 9.0 driver cause i was meant to restart the computer as soon as the installation of the direct x drive was completed but i downloaded a few more windows patches and restarted so that kinda mucked up the computer when it booted up.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2003, 03:11:19 PM »

Hi,

That's possible but doesn't explain why setup fails.

Just to make sure it is not hardware related, I would run a 'CHKDSK /r' from the Recovery Console and run an memory tester

Sylvain Amyot

metal-nick-e

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2003, 11:09:06 AM »

I could be insulting your inteligence here, but i was wondering if you have tried pressing F8 during the boot. This is where it should give you the option to boot from the XP cd.

When in Rome...
u know the rest.
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2003, 03:31:11 PM »

Any luck with this?

Sylvain Amyot

kopykat

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2003, 12:15:31 PM »

I had a similar problem and followed the advice above and ran MEMORY DOC. I found that I had a fault with my memory. I recommend you give it a go. I haven't replaced the memory yet so I can't tell you if it was the main prob but it looks very likely!! I'll keep you posted!

WolfGang_uk

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2003, 03:39:51 PM »

how do i run the memory doc??
i tried to format my hardrive but i keep on receiving this message that some program or utilities is using the hardrive, so i deleted most of my prgrams but i still kept on receiving the error message.
so how do i run the memory doc???

rwalsh7981

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2004, 11:07:30 PM »

my guess is that when windows is starting up your not pressing the up arrow to choose start windows xp home edition.  im in the middle of trying to reinstall and am having a similar problem, when i try to partion the C: where i have windows installed already, it says that it cant delete the partion becuase there is currently setting/installion files on it that need to be saved, and then when i try to reformat using my computer, right click c: and then reformat is says cant format becuase there are program files that are being used or somehting like that.  how do i go about partioning and reinstalling windows xp?

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 

Jump to: