MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: data recovery after scandisk?
September 20, 2019, 04:15:31 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2019, 04:15:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: data recovery after scandisk?  (Read 930 times)
computerblue

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2003, 05:45:45 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows XP Professional
Problem Hardware Make & Model: Western Digital Model 2500, 250 GB, 7200 RPM, 8 MB Cache

This HD in question is my slave drive, and only contains data files (no software).

After trying to save a large media file unsuccessfully several times (the software program -- Soundforge) kept hanging up, I saw that there were several copies (15) of the data file saved at 4 GB per file.  When trying to delete it, I kept getting a message that the file could not be deleted because it was being used by another program.  When I tried to play the media file, I kept getting a message that it could not be found.

I figured the best thing to do was reboot and then try to clean up the directory.  Upon rebooting however, it immediately launched into scandisk and there was no way for me to interrupt the process... all I saw was scrolling text on blue screen saying "bad link.... cluster # etc." and this took a long time as I suppose it was scanning the entire drive.  

When it was finally done, all that is left in my drive is a FOUND.0000 folder with the FILE0000.chk files, 10,000 of them, with all but 4 or 5 of them at 32 KB.  Most of my files on this drive were each well over 500MB.  There are no other folders, no other directories, and no other files that show up.   The drive now reads that it has about 30 GB of data on it, when I HAD close to 100 GB before this reboot.

I have not changed anything on that drive, nor have I rebooted since.  I have been running several scans from data recovery programs to see if anything turns up... so far I have used Virtual Labs data recovery, Get Data Back, and Final Data Plus.  Some of the files are turning up but not many of the larger media files.  I have not performed a recovery because I'm still trying to find the best program to use for the recovery.

Did the Scan Disk delete my data?
Is there a way to reverse it?
What is the best strategy for file recovery?

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2003, 08:06:51 PM »

Hi,

Did the Scan Disk delete my data? Probably! Sad
Is there a way to reverse it? Not that I am aware of.
What is the best strategy for file recovery?
1. First thing, check through Disk Management to make sure the drive is marked as 'Healty' and that the full size of the drive is still reported correctly.
2. Run an antivirus scanner http://housecall.trendmicro.com
3. Either get the data recovered by a Data Recovery Centre (very expensive!) or use a utility to salvage what is left.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: