MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Networking Problems arrow Topic: Re: Problems networking with a router
September 20, 2019, 03:47:23 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2019, 03:47:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
12th Anniversary Celebrating 12 Years! (1997 - 2009) 12th Anniversary
Thanks to ALL that make this site what it is!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Re: Problems networking with a router  (Read 1225 times)
jezt2001

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2003, 05:19:49 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows 98
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model: Pentium I 133mhz Compaq
Error Messages:

I am trying to set up a second computer to share the broadband connection but finding it impossible.The main computer has Ntl Broadband installed but the second computer hasn't as it doesn't meet the minimal system requirements (64mb ram; 166mhz processor). The second computer is running windows 98 and when connected directly to the main computers ethernet ports (which runs win 98) a network connection is established, providing static addressing is used. The network connection is lost when connected to the router (mentor cable/adsl) and although the internet is available on first computer connected to router, there is no broadband connection on the second. How do I get the second computer to get an I.P address from the modem; is there some procedure that I should be using to set up the 2nd computer. I have no problems setting up the main computer; it works fine with the modem and the router. I have disabled my firewall and there is nothing wrong with any of the hardware as the network works fine when connected directly.

Jez
« Last Edit: December 06, 2003, 02:03:10 AM by jezt2001 » Logged

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2003, 06:13:27 PM »

Posted by jetzt2001 - moved from another thread:
quote:
Since posting previous message I think I have sorted out the problem but could do with confirmation before implementing remedy.

I have 2 computers that were fairly recently networked using Belkin Starter kit. This consisted of 2 network cards and 25m of crossover ethernet cable.

The network worked fine eventually although it took ages before I realised that the firewall had to be configured properly before it could work.

Then I had ntl Broadband installed and had very little problem getting internet connection to work although AOL had to be uninstalled in order to install the ntl drivers. I then bought a Mentor Router and found that I couldn't get a network connection with computers. The main computer which had ntl Broadband installed(Pentium III 700mhz) eventually worked fine with the router but the other computer didn't get connected either to the internet or network, unless using its own dial-up connection to AOL.

I even tried upgrading from Windows 95 to Windows 98 on that computer but no difference. I found that dynamic addressing seemed to be a problem even when connecting the two computers directly without Router.

It have now realised or at least believe that the problem is two separate ones. The first is that the crossover cable needs replacing with straight patch cable in order for the network to work with the router. The second is that Ntl needs installing on the second computer although I'm not sure if this is necessary with a shared internet connection.

I would appreciate it if someone could verify my solution before I buy another 25m of cable and a slightly upgraded computer to replace the Pentium I whose system specifications are too low to run the software for ntl Broadband. Is this necessary or is there some other solution I haven't thought(except ICS which requires both computers to be switched on at the same time) ?

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: