MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Security & Viruses arrow Topic: ~pttest.dat
September 16, 2019, 11:39:55 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 16, 2019, 11:39:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
Article Writers We are looking for quality, informational articles to add to our Computer Articles
Please contact us if you are interested in submitting some....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: ~pttest.dat  (Read 3627 times)
rtscrusader

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: December 12, 2003, 04:14:02 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:XP pro
Problem Application Name & Version:n/a
Problem Hardware Make & Model:n/a
Error Messages:n/a

Hi, I'm not exactly an expert at pc's so don't be surprised at my perimative knowledge Smiley

I was trying to free up some HD space earlier and found a file that exceeded 1gb in my C: drive. (~pttest.dat)I can't remember the file ever being there and am to scared to delete it in case it's a vital system file or something similar. I done a search on the net but couldn't find out what this file was. It was created on the 7/12/03.

Any help on this would be much appreciated thanks.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2003, 04:42:33 PM »

Hi,

I haven't found anything on this either!

I would rename the file, test everything and leave it for a week or so and if all works fine after that, then I would delete it.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
rtscrusader

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2003, 06:26:38 PM »

Ok, thanks I'll try that

joe_customer

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2004, 01:34:17 AM »

Has anybody found any new information on "~pttest.dat"?
I just found this file on my PC and this is the only site that turns up in a search.
Incidentally, the file is 327 Megabytes.

rebfender

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2004, 03:39:46 AM »

I also have this file on my hard drive and its taking up 1.12 GB.  I need to know if I can delete it.  If anyone finds anything let me know.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2004, 02:02:13 PM »

Hi,

Is the file's date and time recent?

If so, to find out what app the file is created by, I would set its attributes to "Read Only" (right click the file and select Properties) and when the apps that writes to it tries to and can't, it will hopefully complain, then you will know what is creating this file.

Let us know your findings.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
joe_customer

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2004, 07:58:30 PM »

That's an excellent idea Admin, thank you.

seengee

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2004, 05:34:11 PM »

I would guess that all of you that had this problem have 'performance test' installed on your pc (either standalone or bundled in with norton systemworks). I had a problem with performance test crashing during a system check and this file appeared afterwards. During the sequential write section of the test this file is created and used to test read/write/search on your pc. In short though the simple answer is that you can safely remove this file without a problem, i have double checked and crashed performance test to check and the modification time and date match.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: