MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: General Slowness...Can't Find the Cause
December 11, 2019, 01:16:23 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 11, 2019, 01:16:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  New Poll on our main page!
"My experience with Vista..."
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: General Slowness...Can't Find the Cause  (Read 804 times)
SabreAce33

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2003, 03:44:23 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows XP Pro
Problem Application Name & Version: N/A
Problem Hardware Make & Model: N/A
Error Messages: None

I run a Dual AMD MP +1800 on 256 MB of Kingston DDR RAM, 30 GB 5400 RPM Maxtor, on a Tyan Tiger S2460.  This thing WAS blazing fast, however, it has had a power-supply failure and replacement, an HD failure and replacement, and numerous HD formats/Windows re-installs.

Recently, it began to get real slow, most notably while running IE or browsing the HD, it starts, hangs, then loads.  I have tried everything I can imagine...defrag, freeing HD space, virus scans, registry cleaning, I re-seated the RAM, on and on...  I finally got a benchmarking/system analysis program.  The processors are running fine, right to their specs, as is the RAM.  The most interesting thing I realized was that it indicated my motherboard and two processors were running at 80 degrees celcius...now..this is simply not possible!  So maybe the motherboard is having problems?  The only other thing that pointed to any sort of problem is that the HD transfer speed was down around 11,000 kb/s.  When I benchmarked it again today, it was up to 14,000.  Something just doesn't seem right...

So today, I got a new 40 GB HD, made it my secondary with the intent of backing up my old HD to see if it was the problem.  Well, I get ready to format the new one, and Windows detects it with auto-detect, then crashes, reboots.  I do it again, it again crashes on auto detect.  

Essentially, I have two problems, a crash on hardware detection, and an unknown problem causing a significant drop in speed.  Help!

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2003, 04:12:47 PM »

Hi,

Is your CPU fan spinning and well attached to the CPU?
Are all other fans spinning?

When you say "Windows detects it with auto-detect..." are you talking about the BIOS Auto-detect during power up or are you in Windows using "Disk Management"?

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
SabreAce33

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2003, 08:17:06 PM »

All fans are spinning, a little update to this, I got a program that monitors temperature separate of BIOS, it showed the correct temps.  The CPUs were at 50 and 46 respectively, and the motherboard at 38.

When I say auto-detect, I mean XP's auto-detection and driver installation stuff, where a little bubble appears telling you that you have installed new hardware...BIOS recognized it fine.

Thanks

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: