MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: partition & files lost / found.000
August 23, 2019, 08:05:32 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 23, 2019, 08:05:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
Article Writers We are looking for quality, informational articles to add to our Computer Articles
Please contact us if you are interested in submitting some....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: partition & files lost / found.000  (Read 3937 times)
akleeger

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: December 16, 2003, 01:42:08 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: windows xp pro (the xp stands for xtra problems)

my computer has two hard drives, each divided into two partitions. HD #1 holds logical drives C & E; drive C boots to win98SE and drive D boots to WinXP pro.

HD #2 holds logical drives D & F; both are data storage drives, with no programs installed.

All logical drives are FAT32.

Upon rebooting, I received a message that there was a flaw in drive D, and that scan disk would run to inspect and repair lost clusters.

After scrolling for what seemed like hours, XP booted normally. While looking at the system with Windows Explorer, I discovered that the system said that there were NO files on Drive D, yet the drive properties showed that the drive was nearly 100% full. It's an 88.6 Gb partition that should have showed something in the vicinity of half full of data.  Norton Systemworks 2003 found a hidden file in the root of D called found.000.

Drive D should hold three directories with numerous subdirectories. The subdirectories should hold files of the .jpg, .wmv, .zip, .mpg, .mov and other varieties.

Drive D had been named Delta (D:), but the name was somehow changed to Local Drive (D:).

The physical drive itself is fine, and I know that because the other partition, Foxtrot (F:) is working as advertised and it is accessible as usual.

What I need to know is: 1) how to reclaim Drive D, 2) how to restore my data on the drive, 3) what happened, and 4) how to prevent this scary thing from happening again!

any help will be greatly appreciated!

« Last Edit: December 16, 2003, 01:43:52 AM by akleeger » Logged

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2003, 05:16:04 PM »

Hi,

For some reason Scandisk thought the FAT was messed up and tried to fix it. As you can see it did a very poor job at it! The only way to recover (or partially recover) is to use a utility like SpinRite

http://www.spinrite.com/srrecovery.htm

This utility however is not free ($89.00) or guarantied it will recover your lost files!

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
akleeger

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2003, 10:07:49 PM »

I've tried everything, including spinrite, without success ... most programs would not even recognize the D drive as being a drive!

I've finally given up and used Partition Magic 8 to remove the partition and rebuild it ... obviously all the data was lost in the process.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2003, 05:16:04 PM »

Hi,

Sorry to hear about that! Sad

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: