MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Internet & Email arrow Topic: IE Favorites Sorting
October 18, 2019, 06:48:34 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 18, 2019, 06:48:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
12th Anniversary Celebrating 12 Years! (1997 - 2009) 12th Anniversary
Thanks to ALL that make this site what it is!
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: IE Favorites Sorting  (Read 8716 times)
a4skyhawk

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: December 16, 2003, 03:15:02 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:XP Home
Problem Application Name & Version: IE6 Favorites
Problem Hardware Make & Model: N/A
Error Messages: None

I've reviewed the posts regarding sorting IE Favorites; however, whenever I right click on a folder I do NOT get any sort of sort option. This was the indicated solution in the post but it doesn't appear to work on my system - what am I missing? Thanks!

Embarrassed

James R. Koehn
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2003, 05:24:41 PM »

Hi,

So when in IE, looking at Favorites, you do not see the "Sort by Name" options when you right click a shortcut (right above Properties)?

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
a4skyhawk

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2003, 09:29:49 PM »

HI:

You are correct; when I right click above one of the files in Favorites (or the entire Favorites listing), there is no "sort by name" capability. When I right click on a folder a get a three tabbed file - general, sharing, and customize.

I am running Version 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2.030422-1633 of IE.

In advance - thanks for your help!

James R. Koehn
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2003, 05:15:20 PM »

Hi,

So when you right click a folder or shortcut in Favorites, instead of getting a context menu you get the item's "Properties" page?

Do you get a context menu right clicking any files or folder through Windows Explorer?

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
a4skyhawk

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2003, 08:05:37 PM »

When I right click on a favorites folder I get a menu of options (Expand; create new folder,etc .... last is Properties) No where is there a sort function!

James R. Koehn
Pancake
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2004, 07:01:51 AM »

If you open Favorites from the tool bar and left click on any web link and in the drop down menu you will find "sort by name"

An Australian Member of

EDDY
a4skyhawk

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2004, 03:35:39 PM »

I think you meant to say "right click" but stil....Unfortunately SORT is NOT on the list of options in the drop down menu! There are 16(!) different choices but none of them are a sort function. It goes from EXPAND to Properties with all sorts of choices in between but no sort. I am using Version 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2.030422-1633 of IE and keep it up to date fairly frequently so I don't think there is a version issue.

James R. Koehn
Pancake
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2004, 01:10:16 AM »

Hi.Yes you will need to upgrade to version 6.0.2900.2055 but this only comes with XP SP2 Beta.  Its not on public release yet but you might be able to find a copy on the net or wait a few months until its released.

An Australian Member of

EDDY
t_shadow

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2004, 05:43:37 AM »

I am not sure, but it doesn't sound like the IE sort problem has been clearly resolved. If I have missed the posting of the solution, sorry. You're going to have to read it one more time.
Here goes.
To get the correct dropdown menu, you must use the "Favorites" on the top toolbar, between "View" and Tools".
(Not the "Favorites" that can be displayed on the left side of your screen. You get 2 different dropdown menus, depending on which "Favorites" you pick.)
Left-click on the upper "Favorites".
When the menu drops down, slide the pointer down over the first folder or item listed. (It will become hi-lighted.)
Now Right-click on the hi-lighted folder or item.
The menu that drops down (on my IE 5.5)has 14 items on it.
(I know it's an older version, but it works and I am lazy. I have later versions on other systems.)
The first item is "Open" and the last is "Properties".
The next to the last item is "Sort by Name", above "Properties".
This is pretty standard on any of the IE versions I have seen.
I hope that this helps.
Later!
                                t_shadow

t_shadow

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2004, 05:49:51 AM »

Sorry,I for got one other little thing.
To keep the list current and sorted you will have to redo the "Sort by Name" process every so often.
Later!
                   t_shadow

Pancake
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2004, 09:32:11 AM »

Yes,I think thigs got a bit confused there. Smiley

An Australian Member of

EDDY
a4skyhawk

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2004, 03:12:09 AM »

Folks:

I REALLY appreciate all the ideas but the fact is there is just no sort on my IE - anywhere!??? Any other ideas?

James R. Koehn
Pancake
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2004, 07:55:53 AM »

Ok..if i use Ctrl+I i get the same menu as a4skyhawk...starts with Expand and ends in Properties...so lets try this. Open IE6 and left click on Favorite tab on the top tool bar.Pick any folder there and right click.The drop down menu should have "Sort by name" second from the bottom.

An Australian Member of

EDDY
a4skyhawk

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2004, 05:55:50 PM »

You folks ARE persistant,but....my last five items are "cut, copy, delete, rename, and properties" and no sort anywhere. Any other thoughts?

James R. Koehn
t_shadow

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2004, 12:43:44 AM »

Grin I guess I will try once more.
I am uploading a Word doc file, with text and pictures, that should show you what you need to do.
Short of recording an AVI that shows all the moves needed, this is the best I can do.
(It seems a little overkill to setup the screen recorder program for this.)
The doc file covers older versions of IE up through what is installed with XP. (There are 2 pages in the doc file)

I am testing on the the exact IE version (6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2) that you posted about earlier and this works just fine.
I can't quite figure out why you are having so much trouble.

Something you need to be aware of:
Make sure that you are actually in Internet Explorer. The Favorites list can show up on Toolbars in Outlook, Outlook Express, Word, etc. You must be in IE for this to work. (At least I couldn't make it work anywhere else.)

The one other possiblity is that you are on a company system and your IT department has disabled that function.(Why, I can't guess, but I have seen weirder things than this disabled.) If this is the case then it's every man(person) for himself.

I hope some of this helps.
Let us know when you get the problem resolved, I am very curious about what was wrong.
Later! Grin
t_shadow

Download Attachment: Sorting Favorites.doc 118.74 KB
Right click and select Save Target As... then rename the file as shown here and save.

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 

Jump to: