MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: keep on receiving a blue erroe message
November 11, 2019, 10:45:08 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 11, 2019, 10:45:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  New Poll on our main page!
"My experience with Vista..."
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: keep on receiving a blue erroe message  (Read 884 times)
WolfGang_uk

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: December 25, 2003, 04:00:12 PM »

prior to the previous problem im having with my computer, im also having another problem.
everytime when im playing a game or when i im doing something with my computer, i receive this blue error message say "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" and it tell mes to restart my computer
can someone please tell me what this means if if they one how to fix this problem as its really starting to annoy me.
i would be forever grateful to whoever can help me

bbhagrid

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2003, 12:52:59 AM »

here is some info i have found so i cut and pasted for you....

From some research I've done on the DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL problem, there are several things that may cause the problem. It happened to me when I tried to apply a firmware update to my Sony DRU500A DVD burner. In most cases, it appears to be a driver trying to access memory when the IQRL process is set too high. If you get a blue screen indicating a physical memory dump, chances are it will tell you which driver (After the STOP information.

The hard part is determining which hardware requires or uses the driver. It could be a video card, or a USB device, or some other hardware. In my case, it was a multi-flash memory card reader plugged into my USB port. I just unplugged to reader, and my firmware update went fine. It could also be a failing RAM chip. You can download memory test software, free in most cases.

If you see a *.SYS file or some other driver file on your blue screen (if thats what your getting), then you should concentrate on finding out what hardware uses it. Removing the hardware or maybe getting updated drivers for the hardware should fix the problem.
WinXP is kinda funky in how it assigns IRQ's... Supposedly, there are only up to 15 IRQ's for the OS to use. I don't know if that has changed, or if it's something MS has just kinda faked through, but I've seen IRQ's on XP up into the 100's, all seemingly random. Supposedly, this eliminates IRQ conflicts...

Anyway, each PCI slot is assigned an IRQ. From my experience, when I get the irql_not_less_or_equal BSOD, the driver listed along with the error code can almost always be tracked to a PCI card of some kind. In every case but one in my experience, it has been the sound card. Simply moving the card to a different slot (preferably higher up, towards the AGP slot) has solved the problem for me every single time.

also give this a try and see if you find anything to help

http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?InCC_hdn=true&Catalog=LCID%3D1033%26CDID%3DEN-US-KB%26PRODLISTSRC%3DON&withinResults=&QuerySource=gASr_Query&Product=winxp&Queryc=DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL&Query=DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL&KeywordType=ALL&maxResults=150&Titles=false&numDays=&InCC=on

When I die, I want to die like my grandmother, who died peacefully
in her sleep.  Not screaming like all the passengers in her car.

Brian
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: