MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Application Problems arrow Topic: Scandisk stops before completion
September 19, 2019, 11:46:55 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2019, 11:46:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Looking for cheap hardware and/or software?
Visit our new Online Store where you will be able to purchase from a reputable vendor by country.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Scandisk stops before completion  (Read 1887 times)
dehillen

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: December 28, 2003, 11:08:46 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:Windows 98A
Problem Application Name & Version: Windows Scandisk
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:In DOS - Long filemane - repair in Windows

I am trying to get Scandisk to complete a scan to confirm the hard drive is OK. The machine is currently is running Windows 98A. I want to upgrade to SE, but want to ensure the hard drive is OK first. Scandisk, no matter if from DOS, Safe Mode or Windows itself just won't complete. From DOS, I get an error about long filenames and a suggestion to fix this in Windows Scandisk. I tried using Norton Utilities Disk Doctor and the same thing happens, no error messages. Disk Doctor happens to show where is it scanning. It progresses OK until it hits Black Ice (Software firewall that is disabled during scan.) then slowly goes through that directory (Just guessing a directory as no extensions are shown.) then very slowly through again an assumed directory of 'local', then it hits a 'directory' of 'hosts'. That's as far as it will go. I know 'hosts' is a file used for Internet tracking and can be customized to block popups. I am thinking of downloading one of the customized ones out there and overwriting the assumed one on the PC. Should I try creating a 'blank' 'hosts' file (Just a file in Notepad and save it as 'hosts' with no extension.) or one of the customized ones or is the 'hosts' issue a red herring? I have tried both Scandisk and Norton a number of times with the same result every time. Suggestions appreciated.

Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2004, 03:03:25 PM »

Sounds as if you have failing sectors on your HD at the locations you have suggested. Scandisk and NDD will always halt at these for hours if not days.

Do yourself a HUGE favour and download this shareware AND RUN IT FROM TIME TO TIME.

HDD Regenerator by Dmitriy Primochenko

HDD Regenerator regenerates bad and failing sectors by magnetic reversal. If your hard drive is
damaged by bad sectors, the disk not only becomes unfit for use, but also you risk to
lose information stored on the disk. HDD Regenerator will regenerate your hard disk
(almost 60 % of damaged hard disks are subject to regeneration). As a result, not
readable damaged information will be restored. With all this going on the existing
information will not be affected!

dehillen

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2004, 07:44:59 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion.I found and downloaded version 1.32. It appears to be only a demo version and will only fix the first bad sector. I'll run it and see what happens. I'm not all that ready to buy the product just yet. Do you happen to have a link to where I might download an earlier version that has full functionality?

Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2004, 04:40:28 PM »

I suggest you buy it and run it as a registered user. You will not regret it!

Pancake
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2004, 04:07:24 AM »

Try this scan/defrag software.You can get a trial.http://www.oo-software.com

An Australian Member of

EDDY
dehillen

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2004, 07:47:52 AM »

Thanks for the suggestion. The PC I am having the issue with is Windows 98 and those producs only work with NT/XP. I am going to try the suggestion of rghasenohr with HDD Regenerator.

Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2004, 04:13:34 PM »

Grin
« Last Edit: January 05, 2004, 04:24:31 PM by rghasenohr » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: