MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: FAT 32 or drive compression
July 21, 2019, 10:54:20 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 21, 2019, 10:54:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca! - Registration is FREE, so why not join our friendly community today?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: FAT 32 or drive compression  (Read 1076 times)
rbtr8r

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2004, 09:07:43 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows 98
Problem Application Name & Version:  FAT 32
Problem Hardware Make & Model: ThinkPad i Series, Model 1452
Error Messages:

I have a ThinkPad i Series, Model 1452 with two drives (C and D), which unbeknownst to me had a Norton Anti-Virus software pre-loaded when I bought it.  When I installed McAfee AntiVius, I had nothing but problems.  I assumed it was McAfee and uninstalled it and installed Norton Internet Security 2003 instead.  Same problems.  I finally decided to use my recovery disk and clean out the hard drive and remove all references to Norton and McAfee in the registry.  After using the recovery disk, I noticed that Norton was there and it suddenly dawned on me that the reason no anti-virus software worked was that the laptop already had anti-virus loaded.  When I uninstalled the anti-virus software that the recovery disk put there and reloaded Norton, all my problems went away.

When I began installing all my other software, some of it asked where I wanted to install it and, where given a choice, I indicated D.  But a lot of it went to C without asking me with the result that C has almost no room left on it and D is still largely empty.  After moving  as much of it as I felt comfortable doing to D, C still only has 152 MB left, but D has 1.89 GB.

I though of switching to FAT 32 and when I tried, it indicated that D was already at FAT 32 and C which was at FAT 16 could not be switched because Norton was there and Norton could not get along with FAT 32.  I do not know how it happened, but a substantial portion of Norton is in D which is already at FAT 32 and the rest of Norton is in C which is FAT 16.  Norton seems to get along just fine in the FAT 32 environment of D, but the FAT 32 switching software will not let me change C to FAT 32.

The other thing I thought of doing was to compress my hard drive, but I did not know if you can compress a drive that is at FAT 32, or if you can compress one drive and not another, or if compression is a good idea at all.

The reason this if of concern is that since I did the recovery process and have tried to bring the laptop up to date with all the Microsoft patches and security devices, over which I have no control as to their location and it will probably be C, I still have to download the Microsoft update for Office which I know is very large and it may not fit into C which is probably where it will be deposited.

Any help will be appreciated.

Rbtr8r@juno.com

Bernard Levine
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2004, 05:09:00 PM »

Hi,

First thing, DO NOT COMPRESS your drives! Performance will go down and data on drive can be lost easier if you cannot mount the compressed drive for some reason.

What version is the installed Norton Antivirus?

Perhaps you cannot convert because it is in memory. Try CTRL-ALT-DEL and "End Task" on everything except "Explorer" and "Systray". Try to convert using Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Drive Converter (FAT32)

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
rbtr8r

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2004, 07:47:44 PM »

It is Noron Internet Security 2003.  I ran PCDoctor on it and it came up with a fault at Track 3060, Head 10.  When I ran defrag, I only noticed one square with a problem in it and my FAT32 converter gave a message saying conversion was not possilbe becasue of a defective drive.  I will try your suggestion.  Thank

rbtr8r@juno.com

Bernard Levine
rbtr8r

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2004, 08:26:43 PM »

In case I forgot to mention it, I had uninstalled Norton so it cannot be the culprit.  I tried what you suggested and closed down all except Explorer and Systray and tried again.  Converter went through the process of converting and I saw a window which said, "Windows did not find and programs that are incompatible with FAT32."  Then it went to an MS ScanDisk and then I got a message saying, "The drive converter cannot convert a drive with a bad cluster mark."  I tried the same thing in SafeMode and got the same result.

Short of any other suggestions which I am willing to try and since you recommend against compression, what about DriveSpace3?

Rbtr8r@juno.com

Bernard Levine
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2004, 05:17:26 PM »

Hi,

You're going to have to run scandisk (thourough scan) to fix the bad sectors first.

You now have three thread about this problem, I will close the other and continue the discussion here.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: