MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: msgsrv32.exe and setupx.dll causing problems
September 18, 2019, 04:08:56 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 18, 2019, 04:08:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
Article Writers We are looking for quality, informational articles to add to our Computer Articles
Please contact us if you are interested in submitting some....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: msgsrv32.exe and setupx.dll causing problems  (Read 1653 times)
ladydarkflame

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: January 06, 2004, 04:35:26 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows ME
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model: Compaq Presario 5150
Error Messages: "An error has occured in your program.  TO keep working anyway click ignore.  Closing will cause you to loose any unsaved work..ect" ..and "msgsrv32 caused an error in setupx.dll.  msgsrv will now close" ...and "While initializing device ifsmgr the microsoft installable file system manager can not find the helper driver.  Please insure that ifshlp.sys has been installed.  system halted.

OK.. I realize thats a lot of errors.  We had a storm last sunday.. we have a surge protector, but in a few mins the power blinked on and off around 8 or 9 times causing some of the transformers on the road to explode.  
We lost power for 16 hours, and when we got it back and turned the comp back on we started having problems.  The computer will start to load, it'll come to the screen where you enter your password, but instead of loading that, a white msg box will come up.  It has msgsrv32.exe across the top and is your basic ignore/close box.  Clicking ignore does nothing for you.  After hitting close, another box comes up.  (This one is the basic close only..grey colored box)  
It says msgsrv32 caused an error in setupx.dll.  msgsrv will now close.  At that point the computer will either lock up completely and stop starting up, or it will load part of norton's netprotect, and then stop loading up.
There are times when if we shut the computer down, turn off the surge protector and let it sit, or do a control alt delete and restart it that it will load the password screen, let you enter it and partially start up the computer.  Half the time Explorer isn't repsonding when it does start up.  You can't use the start bar, or anything on the desktop, but if you can get an IE window open you can actually do a little until it all locks up.  
There have been a few times when instead of starting up I'll get the msg: "While initializing device ifsmgr the microsoft installable file system manager can not find the helper driver.  Please insure that ifshlp.sys has been installed.  system halted."

I have virus scanned..defragged...and done a full scandisk.  I don't have the windows me cd.  We upgraded from 95 using a friend's disk, and the friend has moved since.  How do I get my computer back!  

Pancake
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2004, 05:02:11 AM »

You have some corrupted files.Follow these instuction..but..but...you will need the disc. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=258471

An Australian Member of

EDDY
ladydarkflame

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2004, 01:21:22 AM »

Thank you for the help.  I talked to my friend who has the disk and he's going to come visit me and bring it with him.  I'll update if everything goes well.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: