MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: dial up box comes up as windows 98 is loading
September 18, 2019, 10:33:58 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 18, 2019, 10:33:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  We now offer MyTechSupport.ca Merchandise! Every purchase goes towards maintaining our site.
Thank you for supporting MyTechSupport.ca!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: dial up box comes up as windows 98 is loading  (Read 1465 times)
sopo

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: January 06, 2004, 02:20:39 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:Windows 98 SE
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:Toshiba Tecra 8100 laptop
Error Messages:?

Can anyone pls help a tired and fed up, bumbling amateur? As soon as windows is starting to load my Dial Up connection appears on the screen and wont go away... even cancelling 15/20 times! I am running Norton internet security 2003and have disabled them in scheduled tasks but still the same problem.I learned a lot last night by reading many previous posts and tried the msconfig/ startup method but couldnt see any "bad" programs. I tried turning them all off one by one but still the problem occurs. I am now at the end of my ability with this thing as well as my wits!! Please help if you can:)
..... i read a few more of the problems and solutions on this site and thought it all pointed to spyware... so i installed and ran Ad aware 6 which found ( and quaratined 3 low risk items ) but still the problem is there.... i am now clueless and desperate....all advice and help will be gratefully received..thx
« Last Edit: January 06, 2004, 08:53:35 PM by sopo » Logged

Pancake
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2004, 05:02:08 AM »

Open Internet Explorer.
Click Tools > Internet Options.
When viewing the Internet Options window, click the Connections tab.
Select Never dial a connection.
Click Apply.
Click OK to close the Internet Options window.

An Australian Member of

EDDY
sopo

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2004, 06:56:55 PM »

Dear Pancake     Thx for the reply, it is appreciated. I tried what you said but then i could not dial out at all...to Int Ex or Out Ex.What i was really trying to do was understand what has changed and why, as much as bypass the problem.Last night i ran live update to Norton Int Security and downloaded some monstrously large file updates, although it was only 3or4 weeks since last doing it. So far this ( touch wood ) seems to have fixed the problem. I didn't think that it could be a Norton problem because it was trying to get me to dial out before my anti virus or firewall had loaded,( and i had disabled the auto update! )and it made me suspicious to say the least.
Is this a known glitch with the Norton software ? or do you think i have just hidden the problem until its ready to come back and haunt me ? Any help, advice or comments gratefully received.

sopo

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2004, 10:12:45 PM »

oh god.... i spoke too soon! After writing the above msg, i tried to shut my machine down,but it locked with only the windows logo on the screen.The only thing it would let me do is shove a pen in the reset...and yes, you ve guessed, as it booted itself up again.... the b****y dial up box was up again. please help, anybody, if you can.

Pancake
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2004, 12:14:09 AM »

Ok.Try one of these options. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;175312

An Australian Member of

EDDY
sopo

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2004, 06:04:40 PM »

Hi Pancake...... thanks for replying and posting the web address for me, I really appreciate it!I have printed off the relevant pages there and will work through the possibilities until i find the one relevant to me. I will keep you updated on the progress. Thanks again.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: