MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: MSgina.DLL prob after upgrade
December 16, 2019, 12:34:11 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 16, 2019, 12:34:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Help us help you! Help us help you by helping out! The more people know about us, the more help will be available. Click here to find out how...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: MSgina.DLL prob after upgrade  (Read 3174 times)
VE7VIE

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2004, 08:20:03 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: XP Pro - pre-SP1
Problem Application Name & Version: OS boot
Problem Hardware Make & Model: Generic Athlon 1400, MSI KT266 pro MoBo
Error Messages:[soem problem with] logon dll - MSgina

After the required restart folowing the last automatic update Dec 20, I have been unable to logon, and in fact can only access the Recovery Console. I have been restoering some of the effected DLL's, but have made no progress.

Has anyone had any experience with this problem? How do I find out which compatable collection of DLLs I need to restore?

Thanks

bbhagrid

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2004, 08:50:13 PM »

this is what I have on this

Warning: Potential System Failure
Attempting to use a new GINA can cause a system to fail to boot correctly. If a new GINA is created, the registry is changed to use this new GINA, and attempts to restart the system are met with a Failed to Load xyz.dll error message.
Recovering from a GINA-related System Failure
Recovery is possible without reinstalling the system. This requires having a boot disk, or equivalent workaround, that will boot the system without using a normal hard disk boot.
To recover from this situation:
1.   Boot the auxiliary system

When I die, I want to die like my grandmother, who died peacefully
in her sleep.  Not screaming like all the passengers in her car.

Brian
bbhagrid

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2004, 08:54:36 PM »

I have uploaded the word doc I had from M$ for this not sure it is for you but if you do a google search on msgina.dll you will have many results to choose from hope this helps you

Download Attachment: The Essentials of Replacing the Microsoft Graphical Identification and Authentication Dynamic Link Library.doc 180.23 KB
Right click and select Save Target As... then rename the file as shown here and save.

When I die, I want to die like my grandmother, who died peacefully
in her sleep.  Not screaming like all the passengers in her car.

Brian
Pancake
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2004, 06:38:14 AM »

Can you boot up with the xp disc and and choose upgrade.That way it will install all the files and will leave yours intact

An Australian Member of

EDDY
VE7VIE

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2004, 12:37:25 AM »

I wish! That was the first thing I tried. It isn't that simple, there are other DLLs and maybe winlogon.exe involved. About 6 upgrades were done at the same time (before the restart). I haven't yet sorted out which to revert to.

Wouldn't you think Recovery Console would allow System restore? Or use of Regedit? Or at least not have the advanced features disabled by default? At least in XP PRO?!

quote:
Originally posted by bbhagrid

this is what I have on this

Warning: Potential System Failure
Attempting to use a new GINA can cause a system to fail to boot correctly. If a new GINA is created, the registry is changed to use this new GINA, and attempts to restart the system are met with a Failed to Load xyz.dll error message.
Recovering from a GINA-related System Failure
Recovery is possible without reinstalling the system. This requires having a boot disk, or equivalent workaround, that will boot the system without using a normal hard disk boot.
To recover from this situation:
1.   Boot the auxiliary system

VE7VIE

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2004, 12:40:30 AM »

Thanks, I already read this. Interesting but not helpful.

I think the MSGINA.DLL error report is a red herring anyway. And since uou can't use regedit in Recovery Console, you can't do much anyway!

Thanks (anyway)

quote:
Originally posted by bbhagrid

I have uploaded the word doc I had from M$ for this not sure it is for you but if you do a google search on msgina.dll you will have many results to choose from hope this helps you

Download Attachment: The Essentials of Replacing the Microsoft Graphical Identification and Authentication Dynamic Link Library.doc 180.23

amirin

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2004, 12:35:09 PM »

How do i access the recovery console?

VE7VIE

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2004, 05:02:03 PM »

If you boot off the CD, and choose 'repair' (something like that, you will actually go into Recovery Console where YOU get to 'repair' it, all by yourself. Hopefully you knew how to enable the useful features of RC (like wildcard copies!) BEFORE the crash!

Thanks again, m$!

(BTW with NT4, IT actually tried to do an automatic repair.)

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: