MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: sound and icon missing!
December 07, 2019, 07:08:41 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 07, 2019, 07:08:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  We now offer MyTechSupport.ca Merchandise! Every purchase goes towards maintaining our site.
Thank you for supporting MyTechSupport.ca!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: sound and icon missing!  (Read 1964 times)
bluebird

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2004, 10:18:34 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Win ME
Problem Application Name & Version: No sound
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages: None

I have no sound. I assumed it had been muted but the icon is gone from the tray. I've looked at the device manager for sound & it says all working properly. I checked the speakers, they have static but no sound from the pc, and they are connected correctly (and turned on & vol is up). I've looked in the midi, but don't know what, if anything I should do in there.
Previously I had a screen res prob that was fixed by changing the "theme". Could that have had anything to do with it? And how can I get the sound icon back in the tray? Nothing new has been installed for a long time.Sad

bb
bobthemunchie

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2004, 11:55:12 PM »

Okay, this has happened to me before, while playing games.  I am running XP so it might be different for you.  But this is what I have done, and it works for me.

Control Panel | Add Hardware
Next, then it should search for harware connected but not installed.

For me it comes up asking, "Have you already connected this hardware to your computer"
I click the Yes option, then next.

A list should come up.  Scroll all the way down until you see "add a new hardware device" Select and click next.

Then it should say something like, "The wizard can search for other hardware..."  
"What do you want the wizard to do?"
Select, 'install the hardware that I manually select from a list', click next.

Another list should come up, scroll down until you see the sound icon, that says, "Sound, video and game controllers", select it then click next.

Once it comes up with "select the device driver that..." Under my models part all of them have a green check by them.  I click next.

Hardware to install, then the sound icon and "Audio Codecs", click NEXT.  Then finish.

That should work, but it might be different for ME, so you might have to look around.

Pancake
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2004, 03:00:28 AM »

To get you icon back go Start/Settings/Control Panel/double click "Sounds" icon. and just click the box to put the volume control back in the tray.

An Australian Member of

EDDY
bluebird

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2004, 04:57:30 AM »

Well kids, (pancake & bobthemunchie) thanks a bunch for your advice! Unfortunaely neither option worked...I did have to dig around a bit in Me as suggested & found the device drivers...tried what you said bobm..didn't work.  (also tried the control panal sound icon but inside there...all grayed out)I did find out tho that my soundblaster 16 has some sort of prob or needs to be updated...called a code 10 whatever that is. I tried to update from the pc...no go...ask for a cd to search for more drivers...got my boot disk out but a 2 disk system. not sure which one to use. Driver I have is:
sb 16 or awe 32 or compatible, wdm, 6/8/2000. Is there a place on the web to update or will I have to reboot my whole system??
Embarrassed

bb
Pancake
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2004, 06:22:31 AM »

http://list.driverguide.com/list/company258/page9/ you will need the second file from the top...
login = driver
password= all

An Australian Member of

EDDY
bluebird

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2004, 04:11:48 AM »

Hello pancake...I'm still at it. I downloaded the driver that you suggested (site said it was only 40% compatible but tried it anyway) and after I installed it, ran the search for new driver and still it said my pc is using the best driver available. I went back to the site & tried another driver & same thing...just won't work...I'm beginning to think maybe the sound card went out? Mean time, I'm burning  files & things I want to a cd, just in case my only hope is a total restore. I don't give up easily...any more suggestions? If nothing else I'm learning alot & having a blast! Thanks for all your help. Wink

bb
Pancake
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2004, 04:29:45 AM »

All I can think of now is to go into the Device Manager ,find the sound card and disable it. Do a reboot and see in Windows will find and reinstall it.

An Australian Member of

EDDY
bluebird

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2004, 03:03:53 AM »

Ok...been there done that! No go. Didn't recognize it or even attempt to
reinstall anything. In the device manager, I still have a yellow circle with an exclaimation point in it, on the soundblaster icon & a code 10
message in the properties for soundblaster. Don't know what to do now...
Dead sound card? Thanks again for all your ideas!
  Undecided

bb
Pancake
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2004, 03:30:26 AM »

Ok,one last thing to try before you hang yerself...it maybe a IRQ conflict so can you move the card to slot 3 and try that.

An Australian Member of

EDDY
bluebird

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2004, 04:52:36 PM »

Goodmorning pancake! Sorry it's taken me so long to reply, but been down with the flu bug! I did the big nasty thing & restored the pc & now have sound. But now, for some reason I cannot connect to the internet on my cable modem,(glad I have more than 1 pc!) but guess that's a topic for another forum!
Thanks again for all your awsome help!
Grin

bb
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: