MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: runtime error when starting 'control panel'
November 21, 2019, 11:15:37 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 21, 2019, 11:15:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Help us help you! Help us help you by helping out! The more people know about us, the more help will be available. Click here to find out how...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: runtime error when starting 'control panel'  (Read 1016 times)
mitch8

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2004, 05:50:03 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:win2000
Problem Application Name & Version:control panel
Problem Hardware Make & Model:Soyo K&v Dragon Plus
Error Messages:runtime error 226

I've formatted the hard drive, installed win2k, installed all pertinent drivers for MB and AGP graphics card (AIW Radeon 8500DV). Everything seemed to be working, but whenever I went into the control panel, I got this runtime error 226. After acknowledginh the failure, it proceeded fine.

In an attempt to eliminate this error, I updated the OS with all the MS updates available, upgraded to DirectX9.0, and reinstalled the graphics card drivers. Now the only way to boot up is in safe mode (otherwise it automatically reboots once win2k starts up).

Can anyone tell me if this runtime error 226 is just a generic error report or if there is some hidden meaning that can help me figure out what is happening?

Can anyone advise me on fixing my current dilemma of reboot hell? I'm about ready to start all over again with a clean hard drive.

thanks in advance,
Mitch

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2004, 06:13:47 PM »

Hi,

Do you have a network card?

What I would do is disable non-essential devices in Device Manager (e.g. network card, sound card...) reboot in Normal mode and if problem goes away, you will have narrowed down what device is the cause.

If this doesn't do it, try changing you video drivers to generic VGA drivers to test.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: