MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Data Error reading Drive C
December 06, 2019, 05:46:25 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 06, 2019, 05:46:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  New Poll on our main page!
"My experience with Vista..."
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Data Error reading Drive C  (Read 3774 times)
inspirations

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2004, 09:42:51 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: 98SE
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages: Scan Disk Encountered a Data Error Reading FAT on C:, VKD, Windows Protection Error,Registry File Not Found.  Registry Services  my be inoperative

A friend has a problem with his Computer.  Unbelieveable he's just bought this one (second-hand, obviously!) after learning his mobo needs replacing on his other computer!

(It's a Celeron '1', 300Mhz, 96RAM, 3.2GBHDD, 32xCD Rom, running Windows 98SE, with Zone Alarm and Norton Antivirus).

Apparently Friend's Son was chatting away with Paltalk, when Toddler turned computer off by pressing power button on the case.  The screen went black so Son rebooted.  The computer ran scandisk (due to improper shutdown, as to be expected), but 'scandisk encountered a data error while reading FAT on C:

Tried another reboot and got Startup options, chose Safe Mode but scandisk ran again with the same error.

After Oking the error from scandisk, another error came up saying 'VKD initialisation Windows protection error'.  Checked to be sure keyboard was plugged in correctly by turning computer off and pulling keyboard cable out and in again, then turning computer on again.

This time selected command prompt and ran scanreg \fix.  Got to that screen and it said it was 'Repairing C:\Windows\System.Dat
Looking for valid system registry keys
Checking system registry structure
rebuilding system registry'

And the % never moved from 0 and it seemed the screen froze.

When attempting to boot normally from the startup options (or perhaps it was from the 98 boot floppy?  Cannot recall exactly how this came about), another error saying 'Registry file not found. Registry Services may be inoperative'.

Please help me help my friend out!  I'm hoping not to have to reformat.  I'd really appreciate any ideas or suggestions anyone has to offer.  If I've left any relevant information out, please post back and I'll let you know if I can.

Thanks People...

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2004, 02:50:22 PM »

Hi,

First thing, check for bad sectors.

Hit <F8> to access boot menu during bootup and select MS-DOS Mode. Type scandisk <ENTER> and run surface scan. If bad sectors are found, fix them and they will be marked BAD so data will no longer be written there.

If your registry got corrupted run SCANREG /RESTORE <ENTER> and pick the last backup, again booting to MS-DOS mode.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
inspirations

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2004, 02:31:15 AM »

Thanks for the advice...  I tried an unconditional format, then: fdisk /mbr <press enter>
format c: /u <press enter>
That still didn't work so I deleted the partition, created another and tried another unconditional format.  Eventually I reformatted, tried to install 98SE, but got 'a serious disk error has occurred while writing to Drive C'.  
I've since replaced the hdd and successfully reformatted and fresh installed 98SE (and have all the right drivers installed) - and everything is just fine now!
So I'm happy now, thanks again.

malachirobertson

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2004, 10:35:00 PM »

Hi,
I am trying to give tech support via the phone to a family member.  Both in normal boot mode and in step-by-step mode (during the loading of Windows drivers) a message similar to the one in this topic displays:
Data error reading drive C
Abort, Retry, Fail (or something like that).

My question: what can I suggest next in trying to resolve this problem?

The computer is an IBM Aptiva with AMD processor, running Windows 98.

Thanks

dashhoju

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2004, 02:14:59 AM »

Don't know if this will help, but I had a similar prob with my old Compaq Deskpro 5133. I kept getting write errors on my C: drive. It turned out that the IDE cable was not all the way in the slot on the mobo. After rebooting and playing around for about an hour and deciding that it was fixed, I shut it down and reseated all the cables at both ends. I never had the same problem again. It has found a new home with my daughter. Hope I've helped... Shirley

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: