MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: VERY Slow bootup with Win XP PRo
August 23, 2019, 07:49:29 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 23, 2019, 07:49:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: VERY Slow bootup with Win XP PRo  (Read 2919 times)
MikeF1986

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2004, 07:12:56 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:Win XP Pro
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

I have been running a PC with WIN XP Pro as the operating system. P4 with 512 ram, couple of 40 gig HDs with lots of HD space, ATI video card ...

All was well for a couple of years. Now suddenly (It may have been associated with a failed camera software installation), the system take 6 to 8 minutes to boot up!  I also notice that when I open windows explorer and click on my C drive, it has to search for 30 to 45 seconds before it can show the contents. I also notice that various but not all programs take much longer to load and some (Nero burning ROM) won't open at all.

I believe that the problem is with the operating system but I don't know where to start looking. Can anyone help point me in the right direction? I used to do reasonably well under the hood with WIN 98 SE, but it seems much harder to find my way around in XP.

Thanks in advance for the help...

Mike
bbhagrid

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2004, 08:44:24 PM »

is the camera software still on there? if so try uninstalling it and reinstalling it and see if there are any updates for the camera software , if the software isnt on there try reinstalling it and see if it does any good

When I die, I want to die like my grandmother, who died peacefully
in her sleep.  Not screaming like all the passengers in her car.

Brian
MikeF1986

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2004, 03:31:45 AM »

quote:
Originally posted by bbhagrid

is the camera software still on there? if so try uninstalling it and reinstalling it and see if there are any updates for the camera software , if the software isnt on there try reinstalling it and see if it does any good

Thanks for the reply - After the botched install, I uninstalled, then reinstalled and everything seemed to be working OK. After the slow boot problem appeared, I uninstalled it again.  Also running Norton 2004 diagnostics and it gives the system a clean bill of health.

Mike
bbhagrid

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2004, 12:59:29 PM »

are you still having problems? check and see if there are updates for the camera software and also check for updates for norton as norton was having an issue with thier lastest update that was slowing down winxp ...they may have a fix for it now

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/docid/2004010810205113

this is the link for nortons temp fix for thier problem

When I die, I want to die like my grandmother, who died peacefully
in her sleep.  Not screaming like all the passengers in her car.

Brian
MikeF1986

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2004, 01:53:58 AM »

I've done all of the above, but still have the problem - Now for some weird stuff - a few days ago, the system seemed to have fixed itself. It was zippy and booted up in about one minute. I shrugged my shoulders, smiled, Thanked the gods of pentium and was happy, but still mystified. Two days later, it was back doing all the above mentioned things again. Incidntally, the temporary cure and subsequent fall from grace occurred without any new changes or installations.

Mike
MikeF1986

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2004, 04:06:58 PM »

Now I'm beginning to suspect hardware. Can't find anything wrong with the software. Norton System Works 2004 tells me the hard drives are OK and notes nothing wrong with windows. I was reviewing my CMOS settings yesterday and suddenly, for no apparent reason, the background color changed from its always blue to black. The system seems even more unstable day by day. Still takes 6 to 9 minutes to boot up and prorams load VERY slowly - generally seems that I can only perform one function before the system locks up. Also keystrokes sometimes come very slowly - as in Word, if I type the system seems to pause before placing the letters on the screen or just lock up again.

If it is hardware, what might be causing all of the above symptoms? faulty cache? memory? bad bios? Huh? All suggestions would be appreciated. I began this posting in the Windows OS section, but maybe it now belongs in the hardware section?

Mike
rjh111271

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2004, 11:54:16 PM »

have u tried a diagnostic start up? or starting in safe mode?
boot in safe mode...if ok then problem seems to be with device or driver
diagnostic start up.....allows u to boot without start up programs

MikeF1986

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2004, 04:19:55 AM »

I'll try those - for some reason hadn't thought of it. As I understand things, safe mode often seems to find and fix what's wrong (even though it doesn't tell what was) and to start up without drivers I use F5 or F8? These do represent two different ways of booting up, don't they?

Mike
rjh111271

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2004, 01:13:17 AM »

f8 gives u the options of startup
choose safe mode
if all ok then problem lies with program or driver
to do a diagnostic startup
Start >  Run  >  type  msconfig  OK
select diagnostic startup
Reboot
You could try selective startup and click the tab at the far right(Startup)
and
remove each program one at a time until u no longer have the problem
Have you removed the camera drivers and software completely?
I had a prob when i physically disconnected a webcam and windows took forever doing things...plugged in the cam and all ok
it was as if windows was using resources looking for the piece of missing hardware
hope this helps Smiley
this may come in handy
http://www.mytechsupport.ca/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=42&topic=941
« Last Edit: February 04, 2004, 01:31:11 AM by rjh111271 » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: