MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Printer prints reams of one line gibberish!
November 18, 2019, 12:53:32 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 18, 2019, 12:53:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Looking for cheap hardware and/or software?
Visit our new Online Store where you will be able to purchase from a reputable vendor by country.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Printer prints reams of one line gibberish!  (Read 1684 times)
bat2144

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2004, 11:39:30 PM »

Has anyone heard of this problem before? I think it is a printer virus or something, because it was happening on my old computer and then started happening on my new computer onto which i moved files from my old comp. It just shoots out page after page with one or two lines of gibberish when i try to print anything. someone please help! its driving me crazy! no virus software finds anything! help!!!

also, it happens with two different computers, two different operating systems, with two different printers. so i can conclude nothing besides it maybe being a virus. someone has to have had the same problem somewhere

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2004, 11:56:00 PM »

Hi,

There was a virus that did this but I cannot remember the name. What it did was copy itself to any shares on a network and since printers are marked as "shared" it would try to copy itself to it. When this happened the printer did not understand what was being sent to it therefore printing one liners or garbage characters at the top of many pages.

Maybe try this free online scanner http://housecall.trendmicro.com

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
bat2144

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2004, 12:17:30 AM »

i knew that wouldn't find it, because I have full PC-Cillin. I have also tried other free online scans, and nothing shows up anywhere, please find out what the virus was called and any way i can get rid of it. my computer knowledge is very above average, and i can safely say this is the only problem on a computer ive ever had that i can find no way to fix. the frustration that has mounted over this problem may eventually kill me. please help

bustitnote

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2004, 07:17:13 AM »

Just a quick question, have you scanned for viruses in safe mode? Sometimes this finds things when a full boot scan won't. Also try downloading and running the free anti-virus software AVG. Its updated regularly and is a good bit of software and FREE! This has saved me quite a few times. Go to:

http://www.grisoft.com

and select Download free version.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2004, 07:18:46 AM by bustitnote » Logged

Haith

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2004, 05:46:02 PM »

It may not help based on the preliminary description you provided, but I would also remove the share from the equation for troubleshooting purposes, and then download the latest printer driver from the printer manufacturers site.  Establish that it works or does not after this.

Professional computer geek that loves the outdoors moreso!
Computer worker...console gamer!
bat2144

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2004, 09:57:29 PM »

Two different printers on two different systems running two different windows versions. This is not a driver problem. Reinstalling the driver does get my printer to work, but for a day or two, then it all starts again. Please read all my posts before responding, but I am still in need of help. I cant believe how long I have been trying to fix this. I am the person that everyone i know turns to to fix their computer. Someone in this world has to know how to get rid of this.

bat2144

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2004, 01:29:56 AM »

by the way, AVG did not find anything, in safe mode or not

Haith

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2004, 06:43:14 PM »

Please rememeber that people who reply here are volunteering their time in an effort to help.

"Two different printers on two different systems running two different windows versions. This is not a driver problem. Reinstalling the driver does get my printer to work, but for a day or two, then it all starts again.
Please read all my posts before responding, but I am still in need of help."

It may or may not be driver related...
Re-installing the driver would not get rid of a virus, so why would it work for a while if the driver is replaced?  Grin
You have obviously heard of drivers being corrupted after re-boot by another program.  Smiley  So was anything new installed prior to the problem first appearing?

As I often explain to my staff, it's important to not narrow down your trouble shooting to one thing (ie virus) too early in the game or one ends up overlooking many other possible causes.

To help future responders, try supplying the product name and model info for both printers, names of the 2 O/S, and computers would help narrow down possible conflicts as well.

Cheers and good luck  Smiley

Professional computer geek that loves the outdoors moreso!
Computer worker...console gamer!
bat2144

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2004, 08:36:59 PM »

Help me please, what could this possibly be?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?? I am going out of my mind. XP with hp 950c, and the same thing happened with the same printer on my old win 98 system, and i think the problem reoccurred when i transferred files from that older system onto the new one, that is why I think it has to be a virus. Also because the same problem happend with the win 98 system when a different printer was installed.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: