MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: hard drive problem
August 23, 2019, 08:22:00 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 23, 2019, 08:22:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: hard drive problem  (Read 1138 times)
victoriaknowlton

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2004, 12:52:31 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: win 98 se
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:maxtor 2b020hi 20 gig
Error Messages:n/a

i have installed this hard drive as a slave my master is a maxtor 90320d2 3.1 gig the problem is that the new drive is recognized in cmos but when i go into windows it is not there. is there something i have to set in windows to get it to recognize the new drive?  any help is appreciated.

ourbidfile

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2004, 02:43:03 AM »

what you need to do is right click my computer, click properties, then in their should be the divice manager- then click the + sign next to disk drives- if it appears their, then the hard drive needs to be partioned and formatted in order for it to show up in my computer and you be able to use it- in win98 i dont know how to do partionioning and formatting, since i have windows xp, but i would call up your pc manufacturer to see if they can help, if they can't, i would ask someone on how to do formatting and partioning in windows 98. if it is reconized in the bios, as you called it the "cmos", then it needs to be formatted and partioned, im really sorry, but i don't know much about win98 anymore, but i would consult someone if the their are 2 hard drives listed under "disk drives". I would do this step by following the instructions at the top of this reply.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2004, 02:46:39 AM by ourbidfile » Logged

steve

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2004, 10:59:24 AM »

HI to reformat your hard drive and partition it you need to restart your pc into DOS and in there, type FDISK.
CAUTION!!!!!! PRESS 4 then ENTER to select which hard drive you need to partition...you will lose all your data if you do the wrong one!!!
type 3 (ENTER) then 1 (ENTER)
say yes to the questions
then type 1 (ENTER) 1 (ENTER)
 You have re-partitioned your hard drive.

To re-format boot into dos again and type FORMAT X:   (X being the letter of the drive you wish to format)   THIS WILL ERASE EVERYTHING ON THE DRIVE....MAKE SURE YOU DO THE RIGHT ONE

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: