MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: dead pc :(
September 22, 2019, 05:39:42 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2019, 05:39:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Looking for cheap hardware and/or software?
Visit our new Online Store where you will be able to purchase from a reputable vendor by country.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: dead pc :(  (Read 810 times)
vesavius

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2004, 09:14:22 PM »

u]PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:[/u]
Operating System Version: windows xp pro
Problem Application Name & Version: the whole thing
Problem Hardware Make & Model: everything
Error Messages: wish i could get one...

appreciate it if i can get a lil help here...:/

well.. to put it in straight forward terms... my main pc wont even so much as power up, let alone do anything else...

It worked fine yesterday, but after being shut down by a power cut last night (the only reason i can see for this...?), it just wont switch on... I have checked plug sockets and connections, using this pc as my test, and that dosent seem to be it, so i really dont know what to do now... could the power cut shutting down the pc improperly cause this to happen?

The weather here was pretty bad last night btw... could an electrical storm damaged the system? is this fixable if it has?

have i gained an expensive paperweight?

thx in advance for ur help guys.

Get me a beer and money sandwhich. Hold the bread.
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2004, 09:39:44 PM »

Hi,

Electrical storms have been known to damage PCs either through the power cord or the phone line (connected to an internal modem). If connected to a power bar, try connecting directly to the wall plug to make sure the power bar isn't fried.

It's possible the power supply was damaged. Sad

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
vesavius

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2004, 10:37:59 PM »

wow.. thx for the fast reply Smiley

ok.. now the bad stuff... I have tried the direct connection, with no joy, and I am now running this pc using the sick one's power cord and power bar, kinda proving I guess it's not a supply issue...

how bad can this be? i am a real n00b in this area and really dont know much about this kind of surge damage... are we talking about replacing 1 or 2 component pieces, or is the damage possibly more severe then that?

cut to the crunch.... we possibly talking a lot of money here?

thx again, even if the news is bad hehe

Get me a beer and money sandwhich. Hold the bread.
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2004, 02:02:22 PM »

Hi,

It is difficult to say but worst case, the power supply and motherboard (perhaps even some peripheral cards) may need replacement. But the first thing is to get the power working to see what else is damaged. This means replacing the power supply (PSU) in the PC. In many cases, I have seen where replacing the power supply is all that was needed!

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: