MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: HP laptop is flatlining
December 12, 2019, 10:11:30 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 12, 2019, 10:11:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Help us help you! Help us help you by helping out! The more people know about us, the more help will be available. Click here to find out how...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: HP laptop is flatlining  (Read 1259 times)
darrenhigh

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2004, 12:26:32 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows XP Home
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:HP Pavilion Laptop XT178
Error Messages:

My laptop which has seen about 6 months of regular use is having a power problem.  About 3 months ago it started with not powering up when the power button was pressed.  The laptop has several indicator lights which would temporarily flash when the power button was pressed, but then they would shut off and the computer would'nt respond.  This would happen whether it was plugged in without battery, unplugged with a fully charged battery, plugged in with a battery.  Then, mysteriously, it would start working again after an inconsistent interval (hours, days, even over a week).  It then began to suddenly shut off during use and then behave in the same manner when trying to power back up.  On one or two occasions the small reset button on the bottom of the laptop (pinhead size) would allow me to immediately power back up.  Now it has not been consistently powering up and working for longer than an hour, and it will not power up for 100s of tries at a time.  What's interesting is that when the reset button is hit, the battery will charge if plugged into ac power, ultimately receiving a full charge.  But when the power button is pressed the indicator lights will flash momentarily and then won't respond to being pressed unless the reset button (underneath) is pressed again.  Then they flash momentarily, and the cycle repeats until I grow tired of trying to start it.  Every few 100 or so tries, it will power up, but usually for less than an hour. My goal now is to power it up long enough to wipe the hard drive so I can try and exchange it at the store where I bought it.  Any ideas of how I can get it powered up long enough to erase my personal info and then exchange it?

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: