MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: Here is a GREAT problem.. HELP!!
September 20, 2019, 04:57:31 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2019, 04:57:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
Article Writers We are looking for quality, informational articles to add to our Computer Articles
Please contact us if you are interested in submitting some....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Here is a GREAT problem.. HELP!!  (Read 1318 times)
azdj

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2004, 09:51:21 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:Win 98
Problem Hardware Make & Model:Hewlitt Packard Pavillion 4540
Error Messages :msgsrv32 General Protection Fault module msgsrv32.exe at 0001 : 000018b5

HELP! I have tried everything, safe mode doesn't work it just comes up with the same error. I did see somewhere when I was booting the HYMEM file was messed up. When I try to reinstall windows it says I already have an operating system installed, and I can't replace it because of a compression problem. There also was a VFAT problem I saw somewhere.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2004, 09:57:04 PM by azdj » Logged

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2004, 01:03:11 AM »

Hi,

Did himem.sys report bad memory? If so, run a memory tester
http://www.mytechsupport.ca/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=42&topic=1163

If you have a drive compression problem, this needs to be resolved before anything else. What is the exact problem with this?

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
azdj

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2004, 01:37:09 AM »

my basic problem is that it starts to boot, shows the win 98 screen at start up then goes to a blue screen with the "illegal operation error" msgsrv32 General Protection Fault module msgsrv32.exe at 0001 : 000018b5

azdj

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2004, 02:50:41 AM »

Here is more information. From the C:\ when I type cd windows, it says HIMEM.SYS is missing. Also, when I tryed using my boot disk, and at the c:\ prompt i typed the same thing, it said,"invalid VxD dynamic link call from CDUDF(03) + 0000019D to device 0483B service 1. Your Windows configuration is invalid, run windows set up again to correct this problem."

shplad

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2004, 03:08:27 PM »

Hi there:

I would try to boot from the CD to a DOS prompt. (Or if you can boot
from the hard drive to a command prompt, that's fine too, as long as you can get to your CD.)

You should then be able to find the himem.sys file on the CD. You can do a search for it like this:

dir himem.sys /s    (The s is so it will search subdirectories)

Once you find the file, if it is intact, copy it to your
c:\windows folder. It may be in a .cab archive on your CD, in which case you'll have to look up references on extracting invididual files from .cab archives.

If the filename is something slightly different, say himem.sy_  then
you may need to expand the file by typing:
expand.exe himem.sy_ c:\windows\himem.sys

This should fix at least one error. As for compression, I assume you didn't compress the hard drive, did you?  Sometimes the compression problem error can come up if the file drvspace.bin is missing. You may need to replace that file using a similar method.

Shplad
« Last Edit: March 19, 2004, 03:10:18 PM by shplad » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: