MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Internet & Email arrow Topic: e-mail not readable!
April 20, 2019, 05:48:56 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2019, 05:48:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
Help us help you! Help us help you by helping out! The more people know about us, the more help will be available. Click here to find out how...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: e-mail not readable!  (Read 1043 times)
Gere

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2004, 02:07:53 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:Windows ME
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

I received an e-mail from a trusted friend, but when I open the attachment, it is all little squares instead of letters!  I seem to recall that this has happened in the past and I was able to eventually read the message by doing something, but I can't remember what!  After the subject title subject there is a period followed by xls, like this for example:  weather.xls    Does this mean I have to open the attachment in some other format to make it readable?

Gere

arden

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2004, 04:11:19 AM »

quote:
Originally posted by Gere

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:Windows ME
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

I received an e-mail from a trusted friend, but when I open the attachment, it is all little squares instead of letters!  I seem to recall that this has happened in the past and I was able to eventually read the message by doing something, but I can't remember what!  After the subject title subject there is a period followed by xls, like this for example:  weather.xls    Does this mean I have to open the attachment in some other format to make it readable?

Gere

arden

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2004, 04:19:22 AM »

Gere
When you have a filename with the extension (.xls) it means that the document was created with Microsoft Office Excel Program.If you have Excel on your pc open the document in this program. If you do not have Excel. then maybe you have some type of program that creates spreadsheets, you can try to see if another program has the ability to convert the .xls format to one that it recognizes. good luck.

Gere

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2004, 12:33:15 PM »

Dear Arden:

Thanks for your advice about trying to open the .xls attachment.  I can open a blank Microsoft Works spreadsheet, but I still don't seem to be able to move the e-mail with the attachment onto the spreadsheet.  What steps should I follow?  I can't copy and paste and I don't see an option that says "Open With".  

Thanks!

Gere

Blaze

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2004, 03:38:02 PM »

This is an easy issue for you, here's what you are going do:

Go to this site http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4EB83149-91DA-4110-8595-4A960D3E1C7C&displaylang=EN and download the excel spreadsheet viewer. This should solve your problems, if not just reply back. I have another resort but it will take longer.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2004, 03:39:35 PM by Blaze » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: