MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: Changing file icons
July 21, 2019, 06:03:52 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 21, 2019, 06:03:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  We now offer MyTechSupport.ca Merchandise! Every purchase goes towards maintaining our site.
Thank you for supporting MyTechSupport.ca!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Changing file icons  (Read 1628 times)
MarilynFan

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2004, 09:36:42 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows XP
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

Is there a way for different types of files to have different icons?  Here is the situation.  I've got lots of .jpg, .gif and .html files (for making websites) I want all of them to open in internet explorer when I click on them.  This gives them all an IE icon.  When I am browsing through folders it would be helpful if only the html files had the IE icon.  I wish .jpg and .gif appeared different so I could tell them appart without having to open them (sometimes I have the same title but 3 different types of files).  I hope this makes sense.  Thanks for any suggestions.

Melinda

Pancake
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2004, 02:41:50 AM »

Go into Windows Explorer/Tools/Folder options/View/ and make sure that "Hide Extentions for known file types" is not ticked. I think this is what you are after.

An Australian Member of

EDDY
MarilynFan

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2004, 03:05:59 AM »

Thanks, that does help a little.  However, I would really like to be able to change the icons associated with these files.  Right now they are all the IE icon and I'd like to assign a different icon to each file type.

sixpac

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2004, 03:37:39 PM »

I think this is what you want to do, not sure

In Windows Explorer go to Tools > Folder Options > File Types > scroll down to find the associated file, click on it, then click on Advanced > Change Icon

MarilynFan

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2004, 03:41:55 PM »

OK!  Yes, I believe this is on the right track of what I want to do!! However, I see the Advanced button but when I click on gif or jpg that button changes to say RESTORE instead of ADVANCED.  What does that mean?  It seems like any other file types I click on stay with the ADVANCED choice.

sixpac

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2004, 04:11:56 PM »

Not sure on that now, might not be what you want to do, cause if you changed the icon I believe all your gif or jpeg icons will change to what you have changed it to.

What if you right click on the gif,jpeg,etc...and choose Properties > Icon can you change it from there

MarilynFan

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2004, 04:32:43 PM »

When I do that I don't see an Icon option in the properties.  I wonder what will happen if I hit restore in the explorer window.  I am not aware that I set the icons to begin with maybe I did it accidentially and if I hit restore it will go back to original settings and give me back the Advanced option.  Does anyone out there know what will happen?

Thanks!

sixpac

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2004, 04:44:22 PM »

Are you right clicking on the jpeg itself ( lets say it was on the desktop ) and choose Properties > Icon can you change it from there

MarilynFan

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2004, 04:56:11 PM »

Yes, I actually have a .jpg on my desktop.  When I right click and select properties there is a GENERAL tab and a SUMMARY tab.  The only buttons on the GENERAL tab are CHANGE (which changes the program the file opens with)and ADVANCED which has options for archive/index and compress/encrypt.

Malcolm

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2004, 12:52:18 AM »

I use ACDSee 6.0. It works really well for segregating types of photo's and for editing them

MarilynFan

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2004, 01:51:34 AM »

Thanks everyone.  I went ahead and hit RESTORE and basically ADVANCED button came back.  I was then able to change the icon!  Thanks soooo much for your help.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: