MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: How do I dual boot wth 98 &98 se?
April 19, 2019, 02:01:23 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2019, 02:01:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How do I dual boot wth 98 &98 se?  (Read 846 times)
metal-nick-e

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2004, 10:27:53 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:windows 98
Problem Application Name & Version:need to upgrade to 98 se
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:this computer already has a version of windows on it. please use an upgrade disc.

Hi all
Sorry for sounding a bit thick. But Ive got a pc that is 5 years old, with windows 98 on it. HP,P2, 12 gb HDDR, 256 RAM. AT the time it was the best going (for the price). I've found now that I have to upgrade to at least a 98 SE OS. Due to a variety of reasons, ie. digital camera, my son new mp3 player etc. I am a high school teacher and my husband has is own one man business. We both have a lot of very important data saved on the pc. But I've never backed it up(about 2 GB). Iv'e got a windows 98SE OS disc, but it is only for a machine without an OS, apparently. Now we get to the tricky stuff! Can load the 98SE as well, so I can dual boot. This will save me having to back up tons of data on to floppys, but also I will be able enjoy the benefits of both  operating systems.
Please help as I am pulling my hair out.

When in Rome...
u know the rest.
brett2

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2004, 11:41:15 PM »

Umm... actually when you update to Win 98SE, all the files on your computer are kept, and just the necessary Windows core files and drivers are updated.  If you really want my opinion, I think you should just upgrade to Win2000 or Win XP.  I'm sure you can get some educational discount.

As far as dual booting goes, you need to complete these steps.  Tutorials are online somewhere to do these, you just have to search for them.
1) Partition your hard-drive. (Some programs like Partition Magic work, and sometimes you just have to start all over...)
2) Install Win98SE on clean partition.
3) In Win 98 run "msconfig" and under "BOOT.INI" tab, add lines for Win98SE boot.
4) Repeat step 3 in Win98SE for Win98
5) Boot up.

If you really need someone to step you through it, if you catch me with plenty of time, I'll post or email you.  Maybe I'll send you links to tutorials, but you'll get what you're looking for.

~~Brett Patterson~~
Alok

Alok

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2004, 06:46:10 PM »

hello
you just upgrade the win98se over the win98
need not to bother that your files will be lost
it will only upgrade the os means win98 to win98se

ALOK TIWARI
mralokkp
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2004, 07:28:36 PM »

Hi,

You cannot dual boot Win98 and Win98SE!

Perhaps and third party boot manager utility may allow this but I doubt it!

Brett's suggestion will not work since Win98 doesn't use a boot.ini and the tab doesn't exist in MSCONFIG in Win98.

Win98SE is meant to be an upgrade to Win98 and therefore is the same operating systems with enhancements and fixes.

metal-nick-e, the best thing to do it get your files backed now! Buy a cdrw or something (there cheap now). If you're running a business off this system, what would be the impact to the business if the hard drive crashes and all the data is lost? Think about it.

Anyways, once the backup is complete, try this:

1. Boot of a Win98 Startup Disk using the "with cdrom support" option from the boot menu.
2. Change to the cdrom drive letter that was assigned to the drive (take notice as drivers load) once at the A: prompt by typing 'X:' <ENTER> (no quotes) Where X is the drive letter assigned to the cdrom drive.
3. Then type 'cd win98' <ENTER> (no quotes)
4. Then type 'setup /ntldr' <ENTER> (no quotes)
5. Install Windows in the same folder (e.g. c:\windows) because it may want to install it into c:\windows.000

This will upgrade Windows and all applications and files will remain. Please do a backup first!

If the steps above don't work, try this:

1. Boot of a Win98 Startup Disk using the "with cdrom support" option from the boot menu.
2. Type at the A: prompt, 'C:'
3. Then 'cd windows'
4. Then 'ren win.com win.xxx'
5. Then 'ren winver.exe winver.xxx'
6. Change to the cdrom drive letter that was assigned to the drive (take notice as drivers load) once at the A: prompt by typing 'X:' <ENTER> (no quotes) Where X is the drive letter assigned to the cdrom drive.
7. Then type 'cd win98' <ENTER> (no quotes)
8. Then type 'setup' <ENTER> (no quotes)
9. Install Windows in the same folder (e.g. c:\windows) because it may want to install it into c:\windows.000

See if that works.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: