MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Security & Viruses arrow Topic: Agrobot/Blaster can't logon Keeps robooting
November 19, 2019, 09:45:48 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 19, 2019, 09:45:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
12th Anniversary Celebrating 12 Years! (1997 - 2009) 12th Anniversary
Thanks to ALL that make this site what it is!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Agrobot/Blaster can't logon Keeps robooting  (Read 2395 times)
Comptechman2004

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: February 23, 2004, 12:39:11 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:XP Home edition
Problem Application Name & Version:OPERATING System
Problem Hardware Make & Model:Gateway
Error Messages:NONE

I saw a post with a smilar problem but the resolution isnt right for me. I called MICROSOFT and they tell me I have the AGROBOT virus. I need to wait for them to call in 24 to 72 hours. Hoped you guys could help quicker. I have been trying to get rid of the STARTPAGE.CE Trojan Horse. I loaded Virusscan and various other programs I saw posted on the Internet. Finally got myself to MICROSOFT web site and tried to downloaded critical (security) updates. It told me they had 19 updates I needed. The first one had to be run alone so I tried to get it. It downloaded but took a while to INSTALL. At one point a message came up about whether I wanted to do a backup in case I wanted to deinstall BUT it would take up a lot of space. I said OK and it seemed to continue. It was taking a long time so I went and had some dinner only to come back and see a BLACK screen. I eventually unplugged the Computer and it started to boot up BUT after the WINDOWS XP screen came up, the screen when white and the rebooted started all over again and again and again... Since I cannot log on, how can I do any of the recommended preventitive work. Does any one know how to get the PC started up and back into Windows. Since XP came preloaded, I do not have any operating system cd's. The woman at MICROSOFT said that they would not be necessary. I tried finding this info on the internet but with no luck even thoough the same woman said that there was a site out there that posted what needed to be done. BUT since it was not a MICROSOFT site she could NOT recommend it nor did she tell me where it was. Anyone out there know what I need to do next other than tossing this computer out the window? Thanks, Manny

Pancake
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2004, 01:56:00 AM »

Can you get  into  Safe Mode by doing F8 at startup.

An Australian Member of

EDDY
Comptechman2004

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2004, 01:05:02 PM »

Hi Pancake,
I tried the F8 and logging in with every option given but I still can't get past the rebooting cycle.

Pancake
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2004, 12:57:29 AM »

See if this is of any help...

When you start your computer, the Microsoft Windows XP start up screen appears, and then the computer restarts. The Windows XP logon screen does not appear.  This error can occur if the Kernel32.dll file is missing or damaged.

To resolve this issue, use the Windows Recovery Console to extract a new copy of the Kernel32.dll file from the original Windows XP compact disc (CD). To do this, follow these steps:

1. Start the Recovery Console. If you do not have the Recovery Console installed, start it from the Windows XP compact disc (CD). To do this, follow these steps:

a. Insert the Windows XP CD and restart the computer. If prompted, select any options required to boot from the CD.

b. When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts; choose the repair or recover option by pressing R.

c. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access from the recovery console.

d. When prompted, type the Administrator password.

2. At the command prompt, type "cd system32" (without the quotation marks), and then press ENTER.

3. Type "ren kernel32.dll kernel32.old" (without the quotation marks), and then press ENTER.

4. Type "map" (without the quotation marks), and then press ENTER.

5. Note the drive letter assigned to the CD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP CD. It is displayed in a format similar to the following:  D: \Device\CdRom0

6. Type "expand <drive>\i386\kernel32.dl_" (without the quotation marks) (where <drive> is the drive letter of the CD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP CD), and then press ENTER. For example:

Expand d:\i386\kernel32.dl_ <ENTER>

Note the underscore character after the "L" in Kernel32.dl_

The following message appears:  Kernel32.dll, 1 file(s) expanded.

7. Type "exit" (without the quotation marks). The computer restarts.

8. Remove the Windows XP CD and start the computer normally.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2004, 01:00:20 AM by Pancake » Logged

An Australian Member of

EDDY
Comptechman2004

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2004, 04:03:45 PM »

Hi Pancake,
Well, the computer (it's actually my sister's) I am trying to fix is a Gateway that came preloaded with the software including XP. I don't believe that there was a WINDOWS XP cd rom with it. Do I have any alternatives? Can I download the files necessary to a 1.44 floppy or is there too much info to fit on the floppy?
I really appreciate your assistance though. You are much better than Microsoft. I called them after waiting the required 72 hours only to find out they never escalated this issue to tech support and now I have to wait another 24 to 72 hours!!! And it took OVER 30 minutes for the Customer service rep to realize I had already spoken to a rep who was suppose to have done the escalation.

Comptechman2004

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2004, 01:26:31 PM »

HI Pancake,

I never got a chance to try your option. (Microsoft was leery of messing with Kernel32.dll and it was NOT 0 bytes.)I ended up on the phone for hours with Microsoft and we tried a fix similar to yours but using different files. The info should be in article 307545. (This may work for another problem similar to this one.)
Microsoft believed my problem was not a virus but rather a bad install of some critical updates. Since I did not have the password to the ADMINISTRATOR account (and we aren't sure if that password is stored on the Gateway's OEM Windows XP CD), we had to create a 6 floppy boot diskette(s) which I did do from Microsoft's web site. This allowed me to press ENTER at the password prompt after booting from diskette. At that time, we tried a fix like you suggested but used 5 different files, it didn't work. We then used option 1 from the recovery panel screen and I apologize but forget the name of it. What we did was restore XP back to what it was when the computer was first purchased. (I forget now whether we had to eventually use the OEM CD or if all the info came from the diskette.)
I was instructed to download a security patch (wish I had written all of this down)using another computer to a diskette and install it on the "injured" pc before going on the internet with it, or I would surely get a virus. I did  that and loaded it after windows XP successfully came to the user accounts' screen FINALLY! I loaded the patch and then went online and downloaded another 40 or so patches that the computer needed. The computer is now up and running.
It still seems to run slow but at least it runs. Question to anyone, are celeron processors slower than pentiums even if they are faster MHZ? I have used computers with both and it SEEMS to me to be the case. Or is it that they were on XP and WIN 2000 and mine is WIN 98? MY slower, older PC seems to run BETTER than those newer, "faster" pc's. (Of course I also have 512 M of ram and they have 128!, is that the reason?)
Anyway, thanks for your help and I hope there is info in here that will help some one else.

benditup

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2004, 01:06:36 AM »

Good Ol Microsoft
From what I remember STARTPAGE.CE Trojan Horse
is a variant of CoolWebSearch
Download------Close down all other windows
Open CWShredder and let it FIX all problems.
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

If they are down Post back and I'll find you an alternate link
They are having problems with Ddos Attacks from the creators of
coolwebsearch.......
You want version 1.50 or newer

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: