MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Scandisk Error on New Drive
September 22, 2019, 12:54:55 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2019, 12:54:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Looking for cheap hardware and/or software?
Visit our new Online Store where you will be able to purchase from a reputable vendor by country.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Scandisk Error on New Drive  (Read 789 times)
MJL54

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: February 27, 2004, 07:32:33 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:Windows 98SE
Problem Application Name & Version:Scandisk
Problem Hardware Make & Model: Dell Dimension XPS500
Error Messages:

I recently installed a second drive (40gig).  Actually, it was installed by these tech guys down the street.  I tried to run defrag but I got a warning that this utility couldn't access some parts of the disk and to run scandisk, which I did.  Round about the 900,000 cluster mark it started to slow down - I mean, really slow down.  I calculated it would take 8 more days to finish the job at 64 cluster every 4 minutes!  I discovered from the Microsoft webpage that there is a fix for this (because it isn't, I would think, a disk error in fact; I've been using the drive and it's working fine).  BIOS on certain computers which use a Phoenix version are subject to this problem where the Scandisk starts finding errors at around that same place.  I downloaded the fix but I haven't installed it yet, I'm checking with Dell because I'm not sure which BIOS I have, and then there is that problem of the defrag utility, as to why it would not work either.  As for those tech guys down the street, I can always get a new drive installed (but I don't really trust them and they tell me they know nothing about software. If they ran Scandisk on their machine they'd likely find nothing wrong, or say they didn't.)
Any advice would be helpful.
MJL 54 - thanks.

sj1184

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2004, 03:35:48 AM »

Hi MJ,
Get the make of the hdd,go to the mfg's site & download the diagnostic utility.Put it on a floppy & run it.See if it finds any errors.You can always set the hdd back to factory spec. with the diagnostic utility.
Take care.

Sandy
MJL54

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2004, 07:03:59 PM »

Hi, Sandy.
Thanks for your quick response. I went to Maxtor and downloaded their utility.  Funny how it's easier to help someone else than it is to help yourself - can't see the forest for the trees.  It never occurred to me to check with the manufacturer!
Thanks again.

MJL54

sj1184

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2004, 07:45:03 PM »

You're welcome MJ.
Let me know how it goes.
Take care.

Sandy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: