MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Networking Problems arrow Topic: Using a VPN
April 07, 2020, 05:43:14 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 07, 2020, 05:43:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  We now offer MyTechSupport.ca Merchandise! Every purchase goes towards maintaining our site.
Thank you for supporting MyTechSupport.ca!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Using a VPN  (Read 2987 times)
Bandit

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2004, 12:49:54 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

Hello to u all,

First of all let me introduce myself; I call myself Bandit and i signed up for this forum because i got some problems setting up a VPN. I am 26 years of age and i live in rainy Holland.

To start off with the requirments:

Operating System Version: Windows XP Home NL, SP1+updates
Operating System Version: Windows XP Pro ENG, SP1
Problem Application Name & Version: VPN for Windows XP
Problem Hardware Make & Model: 2 Custom build PC's
Error Messages: 733 and 800

Rather long story. Here is how it started.

A friend of mine and me want to play this computer game with/against eachother.(Need for Speed 5) My friend lives in the same town as me an we both have the same broadband internet provider.(@home)The game no longer supports online play, but there is also an option Peer to Peer IP and LAN games. In the past my friend lived right next to me, and we had this very long cable stretching from my pc, through the windows to his pc. We never encountered any problems then, playing LAN games. But the Peer to Peer IP option is giving us a hard time for over 3 years now(!) And now it is time to get this over with! At least that's my intention..Grin Ofcourse we could try to make the p2p IP to work afterall, but we haven't succeeded in this for years now, and our idea was to make our pc's 'see' eachother in a network, so we can use the option LAN games, because this has worked before. Even if this doesn't work, we still want the network.

So, here's the problem: me and my friend want to set up a network over the internet. As far as i know, this should be possible, creating a VPN. (Virtual Private Network) The setup wizard guides us through the the whole process step by step, and we do it symontaniously, using the messenger programm, so we are sure we get the right settings. No problems so far. but, when we try to connect, after finishing the wizard, we both get error messages. (we tried by turn) First, i tried and got the error: 733 I searched Google for the error and it came up with an option i had to uncheck; 'Negotiate Multi-link something' But this option was allready unchecked. After many hours of frustration we tried to check this option, but this had no effect as well, and it (duh) came up with the same error message. After several different tries, we decided that rebooting the system might be a wise thing to do. Probably we should have tried that right from the start, but Windows didn't came up with it, so i guessed it should be okay afterall, not to reboot. After rebooting, we got a different error message, and we are now still stuck with that same error message: 800 Shortly it means that it was not possible to establish a connect, as if we didn't allready know that..Lips Sealed I have tried different 'solutions' to this error, but only 1 remains, and that is: Contact your hosts administrator, and that would be my friend. Since he is a complete 'not know' with computers, that leaves only me..Huh? And that's quite frustrating. For the record, my friend also tried and got the same error message.

My guess is, that there still is something on 1 or both pc's that blocks 'traffic', but i really don't know what. All firewalls are disabled, even the build-in Windows XP firewall. After getting really frustrated, by this time u could call it angry, i cursed my router, and connected my pc directly to the cablemodem. Again this had no effect what so ever, and now i'm writing my problem here, without the router.Undecided (also my wife is giving me a really hard time, since she's out of internet for the rest of the day...:-s)

The one thing that keeps going through my mind, is the fact that my friend and i are having troubles with 'security' ever since we meet. Trying to get in his pc, using the 'file://ipadress' command never worked on his pc and now it is not possible for him to acces my pc as well! Normaly this should be possible, if no firewall is in between. Which tells me the problem should have to do something with security, since one of the solutions to the error 800 involves firewalls interfering.

That's rather a long story to this problem, but i guess it will be clear to whoever knows a solution to this matter.

I hope someone can tell me what to do, to get the network to work over the internet.

Thanks for your attention anyways.

Greetings from rainy Holland,

Bandit

When the pc stops listening, start listening to your pc.
tomo

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2004, 12:05:02 PM »

Have you checked with your ISP if it supports VPN , I think some don

Bandit

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2004, 05:43:17 PM »

I contacted my ISP, and they say it should be possible, however they do not support the use of any network, beyond their own.
So, it is possible. Then i must be doing something wrong here.. I still think it has to do something with security...

Greetings,

Bandit

When the pc stops listening, start listening to your pc.
shplad

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2004, 10:07:06 PM »

Hi Bandit:

As a technician, I strongly suggest you use another method than VPN to game with each other. The reason?  Windows has DirectPlay built-in as part of DirectX, and this API is DESIGNED to do gaming online when you are connected over the Internet. In order to game online, you only need tcpip connectivity, and not filesharing and browsing, which is what a VPN adds. For these reasons, I suggest you use a 3rd party gaming server.

That being said, if you still want to use a VPN for gaming (which will likely make gaming impossibly slow), how did you set it up? You mention windows vpn, so I'm assuming you created a vpn profile on each machine using pptp?  Did you forward ports on the router? pptp requires tcp port 1721 to be forwarded in each end's router.

Hope this helps

HogWild

robertmburke

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2004, 02:15:56 AM »

Bandit, As of 4/27/04 I am having the same issue, i am not sure if you have resolved this as I do not see a post stating such, after much searching I believe the issue to be DHCP related, in your RRAS, config use a static pool instead of DHCP. I will try this tomorrow, on the clients network.
 On another note, Hogwild, I would make sure the information you are putting out as a technician is correct, the port for PPTP is actually UDP and TCP 1723. You can check this at
http://www.snort.org

Robert Burke MCSE, MCP+I, CNA, Avid Linux Fan

shplad

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2004, 06:20:34 PM »

robertmburke:

Whoops! You're right. I know better than to do that. I've always known that pptp is port 1723, but I was looking at info. on a Cisco 1721 that evening and I must've confused myself. Sorry about that.

Bandit:  Have you checked to see that there is a machine account and a user account for the other person's machine at each end?  Have you made sure to permit dial in access in Active Directory Users and Computers for those users?

Shplad

quote:
Originally posted by robertmburke

Bandit, As of 4/27/04 I am having the same issue, i am not sure if you have resolved this as I do not see a post stating such, after much searching I believe the issue to be DHCP related, in your RRAS, config use a static pool instead of DHCP. I will try this tomorrow, on the clients network.
 On another note, Hogwild, I would make sure the information you are putting out as a technician is correct, the port for PPTP is actually UDP and TCP 1723. You can check this at
http://www.snort.org

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: