MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Application Problems arrow Topic: Lag Time Not Present Before Reformat
July 13, 2020, 04:12:46 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 13, 2020, 04:12:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca! - Registration is FREE, so why not join our friendly community today?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lag Time Not Present Before Reformat  (Read 1303 times)
robin15

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2004, 06:34:56 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows 98
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

I had to recently reformat my pc due to viruses.  I have successfully reloaded all the drivers so everything is connected and working correctly. However, I am experiencing a lag which was never present before reformatting. The pc was built by my ex so I don't have a specific make or model. I can tell you prior to the viruses taken hold, I was able to move quickly through all programs and the internet. Does anyone know of anything I may be missing or something I can try that may take care of this problem?

Thanks for any info you have!!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2004, 06:52:36 PM by robin15 » Logged

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2004, 07:30:05 PM »

Hi,

Did this lag time exist right after installing Win98 or after installing apps?

If related to an application, try a Diagnostics Startup to narrow down which app is the problem.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
robin15

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2004, 07:35:44 PM »

Actually, it started after the internet connection was up and running. I have a broadband connection through a cable modem. However, I have booted the computer with no internet connection and the lag time still exists.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will be sure to try that this evening.

robin15

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2004, 02:40:32 PM »

Well, I tried that, but there was no difference that I could tell. Any other advice?

There is a significant lag when I click the mouse button to select something versus hitting the enter key. This occurred before and after installing the mouse driver.

When Windows is booting up and the "WINDOWS 98" with the blue sky appears on the screen and you can see the wave of blue at the bottom showing that the pc is thinking, you can see the lag in that motion.

Thanks again!
Robin

toolDave

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2004, 03:35:03 AM »

I know this sounds pretty basic, but did you try defragging lately? Maybe it has to hunt all over the hard drive to find anything...

robin15

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2004, 01:37:43 PM »

quote:
Originally posted by toolDave

I know this sounds pretty basic, but did you try defragging lately? Maybe it has to hunt all over the hard drive to find anything...

Don't worry about sounding basic..I will take any advice anyone has. But, yes, I have already tried defragmenting. It didn't work. Any other ideas??? I'm getting desperate.

sj1184

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2004, 06:51:20 PM »

Hi Robin,
You may have too many things running in the background,which will slow down the computer.Check this link out.
http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/
Also,did you clean out the temporary internet files & clear history?
Take care.

Sandy
robin15

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2004, 02:02:09 PM »

YEA! The lag time is gone!

I started thinking about when it messed up and that was while I was on the phone with the help desk trying to get back online. So I went and checked my network adapters (my NIC card is a little outdated, but I did find the driver) and there were two installed. I removed one, which removed them both and noticed right away the lag time had disappeared. I reinstalled (only one this time) and the lag was still gone. Everything seems to be working great right now!

Thanks for all the help. Its good to know about msconfig option as well. Could easily come in handy in the future.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2004, 02:19:28 PM »

That's Great! Glad you got your problem solved! Grin

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: