MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Won't Boot
July 10, 2020, 03:50:09 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 10, 2020, 03:50:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Looking for cheap hardware and/or software?
Visit our new Online Store where you will be able to purchase from a reputable vendor by country.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Won't Boot  (Read 2155 times)
Dsherm112

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2004, 10:24:17 PM »

W2K, 2 P 3 666's, 512 Ram, AmptronM790MR Dual Socket 370 Mobo, AMIBIOS dated 11/10/2000 S

I loaned this machine to my sister, when she got home with it it wouldn't boot, I'm guessing it was bumped.

When started it boots to the B&W screen that says "Starting Windows" where it scrolls across the bottom and then reboots. It constantly reboots no matter how long you try.

I have tried another power supply, video card, CMOS battery and monitor. I have disconnected everything but the video and HD. I have pulled and reset the Ram. But it still won't boot.

I didn't pull and reset the CPU's, I didn't want to do that if I didn't have to. Does anyone have any ideas? I suspect a bad mobo, but I hope its something else.

I just checked the beep codes, 1 short beep says:DRAM refresh failure The programmable interrupt timer or programmable interrupt controller has probably failed

I guess this means a bad mobo. Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks,

Sherm

sj1184

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2004, 01:55:39 AM »

Hi Sherm,
I know this stops reboot in winxp to see the error message,may be the same for win2k.
click start>control panel>performance & maintenance>system>advanced>startup & recovery,then click settings.Take the check out of "automatically restart",then ok your way out.The next time it goes to reboot,you should see an error message,post it back here.
Take care.

Download Attachment: Auto Restart.jpg 110.43 KB
Right click and select Save Target As... then rename the file as shown here and save.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2004, 01:56:24 AM by sj1184 » Logged

Sandy
Dsherm112

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2004, 03:01:54 AM »

Now I can't get any video. So I can't do the above.

Sherm

Dsherm112

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2004, 02:25:26 AM »

I think the problem is a bad switch. What's the best way to jump the switch? From studying the switch design, it appears the switch is closed to start the machine, but then pops open.

Can I cut the wires and touch them, or should I pull the plug, tape the wires together and plug it in. Or can I simply jump the pins on the mobo?

Thanks,

Sherm

sj1184

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2004, 03:18:23 AM »

Hi Sherm,
It's definitely not the switch.When a switch goes bad,it opens.If the switch was open,you wouldn't be able to start your computer.It's possible your sister may have picked up the blaster virus.Read this.
http://www.pcqanda.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=2&topic_id=243343

if you are experiencing the shutdown problem associated with this issue, open a command prompt window and type shutdown /a. you may be able to abort the shutdown process. this only works on windows xp or win2k w/resource kit.

- you may be able to prevent a failing rpc service from rebooting your machine by changing the service properties. navigate to start / control panel / administrative tools / services / Remote Procedure Call RPC, right-click and select Properties / Recovery. change the failure response to something else than reboot the computer.

If this works,then get the removal tool,then load the patch.
Take care.

Sandy
Dsherm112

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2004, 03:29:25 AM »

Sandy,

I am unable to start the computer. It started with constant re-booting, now nothing happens when I push the switch.

Sherm

sj1184

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2004, 03:41:26 AM »

Hi Sherm,
I doubt if it's the switch,but jump it out & see if it starts.Sounds to me like a bad power supply.
Take care.

Sandy
Dsherm112

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2004, 07:29:08 PM »

I jumped the switch and it didn't start. I've used another power supply and it didn't help either. I guess it's the mobo. Does anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks,

Sherm

sj1184

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2004, 07:57:10 PM »

Hi Sherm,
Since you've tried another power supply,then it may be a bad mobo or cpu or ram.
Take care.

Sandy
sixpac

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2004, 11:11:58 PM »

Sherm

Do you have 2 sticks of 256 or one stick of 512, I suspect ram maybe, try taking a stick out and see what happens

Dsherm112

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2004, 12:47:32 AM »

The only other RAM I have is HD and not compatible. The machine has 1 stick of 512. I'll scrounge around & see if I can find some. But if it was the ram, wouldn't the fans come on and it try to boot?

Thanks,

Sherm

sj1184

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2004, 03:07:35 AM »

quote:
Originally posted by Dsherm112

The only other RAM I have is HD and not compatible. The machine has 1 stick of 512. I'll scrounge around & see if I can find some. But if it was the ram, wouldn't the fans come on and it try to boot?

Thanks,

Sherm

Hi Sherm,
Yes,the fans would come on & the leds flashing & try to boot.Are you sure the power supply you've tried is good?
Take care.

Sandy
sj1184

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2004, 03:09:07 AM »

quote:
Originally posted by sixpac

Sherm

Do you have 2 sticks of 256 or one stick of 512, I suspect ram maybe, try taking a stick out and see what happens

Hey bro,
good to see ya.Wink
Take care.Cool

Sandy
Dsherm112

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2004, 03:22:54 PM »

The second PSU was pulled from a working unit. I'm going to pull it from the case and see what happens.

Sherm

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: