MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: CD icon has yellow question mark
April 07, 2020, 05:33:45 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 07, 2020, 05:33:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Got pics of your modded PC or want to show off your cool desktop, visit our new Show & Tell forum!
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: CD icon has yellow question mark  (Read 3742 times)
mike020456

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: March 02, 2004, 01:19:13 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:ME
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

Hi
I posted earlier in an old (flaming) thread but no replies so far.
I'm not sure if it's a hardware or a software problem.

I want to burn files to CD but I can't access the CD ROM. I guess the yellow question mark on the icon in the taskbar indicates this.

i've checked the BIOS...and had to amend some of the values (enable where it had been disabled etc).

Tried to uninstall the CD driver from Control  Panel but INCD can't be uninstalled. I find 3 other CD Drivers but I don't think they are mine..Given the option I say it is not on the list and I want to install with my own disk..'Have disk'.

I believe I will have to reinstall the OS cos a scan has detected a lot of missing files.
I downloaded Registry Mechanic and it found 77 problems. It repaired files --- the 8 in Custom Controls, 3 in Software locations and 1 in Help & Resources but not the 1 in Shared Programs, 2 in Startup Progs and the 61 in Shortcuts and Links. I have ordered the app to fix the rest.
Meanwhile, in case that doesnt fix my problems I need help.

I just scanned with House Call and it confirms my AVG is working fine...only viruses are EICAR ---I want them there to confirm my AVG is working.

I've done 'msconfig' in Run ... and tested all the startup items. A question here...do I need to check the items under each tab? Or just check the items on the first 'page'? eg there is a tab for 'Process system.ini file' which has a number of subsidiary items that canbe checked (enabled/disabled).

I've done Restore many times and run out of 'old' restore points. Previously I could go back to a previous month (or year I think).
Restore doesnt cure it.

My system is slow and often freezes. I've CTRL+ALT+Del and closed running programs.

I can't use my Recovery CD (naturally..cos the CD drive is non functional). It has gotten worse. Once, the CD icon would appear in the My Computer' but when it was there I was unable to open it.

I cant use the diskette for the CD Rewriter. The A drive works fine though. It gives me an error message: 'There is no information at this location ...'

Ditto the start up disk.

I removed the case cover and looked inside (careful to avoid static electricity) and made sure all the connections were firm. I've not used this PC for over  a year and it has been moved (but to the best of my knowledge not tampered with in my absence).

The CD ROM drive worked when I set it up again...but now it is not.

Any help would be much appreciated.
I'll post other info as I think of it.

Mike

sj1184

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2004, 02:05:15 AM »

Hi Mike,
Restart the computer & go into safe mode.Then go into the device manager,click the "+" next to "cd roms".Then right click the cd rom & delete/remove it.If it see's more than 1 cd rom,delete/remove them all.Then restart the computer,it'll detect new hardware & reinstall the drivers.
To get into safe mode,restart the computer.As soon as the splash screen comes up,start tapping the F8 key.If that doesn't do it,restart the computer & hold down the "ctrl" key.
To get into the device manager,right click my computer>properties>device manager.
Take care.

Sandy
richardmcl

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2004, 02:14:24 AM »

search the registry in hklm system current control set
for entries upper and lower filters attached to the cd drive, delete these keys, reboot, windows will detect new hw and fix for you

richardmcl

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2004, 02:35:30 AM »

CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, Code 32, Code 19, or Code 39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator in Windows XP
Applies To
This article was previously published under Q314060
IMPORTANT: This article contains information about modifying the registry. Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows Registry

For a Microsoft Windows 2000 version of this article, see 270008.

SYMPTOMS
After you remove either compact disc (CD) recording software or other software from your computer, your computer may exhibit the following behavior:
In My Computer, there is no access to your CD-ROMs.
In Device Manager, the following error message appears in connection with any CD-ROM device that is part of your computer system:

The device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device (Code 31).
Device Manager displays the following error message:

A driver for this device was not required, and has been disabled (Code 32 or Code 31).
You may also receive an error Code 39 message that indicates that the driver is corrupted.

Device Manager displays the following error Code 19 message, which means that the registry returned some unknown result:

Your registry might be corrupted. (Code 19)
You may also receive the following error message:

Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)
RESOLUTION
WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To resolve this behavior, follow these steps:
Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
Quit Registry Editor.NOTE: After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value, if you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD recording software, you may need to reinstall that software. If the problem recurs, consult with the software vendor for assistance.

Restart your computer.
STATUS
This is a known issue that can occur when you remove Easy CD Creator version 5.01 or earlier or DirectCD version 3.01c or earlier. This issue may also occur with Easy CD Creator version 5.01 and with DirectCD 3.01d or later.
MORE INFORMATION
There may be other third-party CD-writing software products that exhibit similar behavior. Some or all of the troubleshooting steps in this article might apply if such a product also adds entries under the UpperFilters or LowerFilters value in the registry, either by adding its own filter drivers or by removing the registry keys and values outlined in this article that begin with:

WARNING: Make sure that you perform a backup of your registry before making any changes. The third-party products that are discussed in this article are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of these products.

The information in this article applies to:
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Microsoft Windows XP Professional

mike020456

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2004, 04:35:10 AM »

Thanks Richard and Sandy for the advice.
I tried Sandy's suggestions first (they seemed easier than Richard's).
I manged to remove the CD icon in Device Manager OK. I rebooted and hoped the PC would locate new hardware and do as you say it would do. It didn't. So I tried to search [browse]for it manually. (Meanwhile the CD icon with the yellow questionmark came back into the Task bar at bottom right).
3 CD ROM manufacturers were listed under CD Controllers- Mitsumi, MKE Panasonic and Sony. None of these are mine. So I checked 'have disk' and inserted the floppy for the CD Rewriter drivers. Tried to open the folder ['udf'] on the disk..didnt work. I got message ' The specified location does not contain information about your hardware'.

I lost and managed to recover my Realtek Fast ethernet devices but that's another story.

So. I am back to square one now and faced with the option of deciphering Richard's advice. Dealing with the registry is scary and what/where are the hmkl (?) and system control stuff.

Thanks again for your valuable help. I appreciate the fast responses.
If I have any luck or think of any new info regarding what I have done/will do, I will let you know.
Mike

starfish

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2004, 11:30:21 AM »

Hi mike020456,
Did you at any stage have "easy Cd creator" installed on your machine and uninstall it recently?? The uninstaller stopped during the uninstallation and said "these 2 files are no longer needed by any programs, do you wish to delete them??" Then my cdrom got a yellow question mark and i couldnt access it

This happened to me aswell when i uninstalled ECDC, so I did all I could....if this happened because of cd creator, just install it again and it should be fine...

Other than that...im not too sure...Cool

+Win XP Professional
+Jetway n2pa-ultra with realtek AC97 onboard
+Athlon XP 2600+
+3x512 DDR Mushkin
+Jetway Nvidia 5600XT 256mb
+100G maxtor 7200rpm
+Lucent Win Modem
+Millennium 400watt MI-X28K-4W blue Midi Tower
+Mitsubishi DVDR 4X
+BenQ 17in TFT
mike020456

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2004, 07:01:03 AM »

Hi Starfish

No I don't have EasyCD. I have InCD/Nero.

I'm trying different things. ScanDisk found a problem with 2 crosslinked files (and fixed them) in Directory Structure and as it was about 16 % through Files...it stopped and the error message came up:
'A logical assertion has failed'
expression: index<cet
source: line 242 of msprintf.c

I was instructed to contact Microsoft Products with this error but i am balking at having to pay high service costs. Don't they have free services for such problem reporting?

I don't understand why items in my CMOS and BIOS keep changing. I have them all set right now I believe to the correct defaults/enables and disables.

I might add that occasionally when I reboot, the yellow question mark on the CD icon doesn't appear, but then the system hangs. I shut down and restart and it's back again WITH the yellow question mark.
the latest problem is the startup loads all the items, but then sometimes it will try to load at least one more then for some reason the system powers off. I don't know what it's trying to complete loading.

But the upshot is..I am learning a hell of a lot about the workings of this pc. Even found stuff related to richardmcl's HKEY stuff. So, kinda getting there. but grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr all the same!

Thanks a lot
Mike

sj1184

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2004, 03:50:05 PM »

Hi Mike,
Try doing a system restore & pick a day before your problem started happening.
Take care.

Sandy
mike020456

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2004, 02:17:41 AM »

Sandy, I've done a number of system restores. But the problem recurs. I am limited now to how far back I can restore. At one stage I could go back several weeks but now I am limited to a few days. And those days I have available are since my problem started.
In addition, some of the restore operations were unsuccessful.

I'm running out of ideas.

But thanks again. Mike

sj1184

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2004, 05:13:48 AM »

Hi Mike,
quote:
Meanwhile the CD icon with the yellow questionmark came back into the Task bar at bottom right.
3 CD ROM manufacturers were listed under CD Controllers- Mitsumi, MKE Panasonic and Sony. None of these are mine.

Can you post a screen shot?Is the cd controller in the device manager?
Print Screen Tutorial,how to post a screen shot.

Using Paint to PrintScreen whole page:

1. Click on PRINT SCREEN on your keyboard (you won't hear any noises and it will seem like nothing happened, but your

computer is storing the screen picture on an invisible clipboard)
2. open PAINT(Start>Programs>Accessories)
3. click EDIT>PASTE
4. click FILE>SAVE AS
5. Browse to where ever you want to save it.
6. Name it something
7. change the file from a .bmp to a .jpg under SAVE AS TYPE

Take care.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2004, 05:16:57 AM by sj1184 » Logged

Sandy
mike020456

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2004, 02:14:08 PM »

Hi Sandy, I managed to create a screen shot of Device Manager but can't find the tutorial for posting a screen shot. Tried Microsoft's help as well as under Paint's Help.
However, I don't believe the CD controller is listed in Device Manager.

Running the cursor over the icon with the yellow question mark I note it says 'ahead InCD - No CD-RW found-Acting as Reader Driver'

Does this help?
Awaiting your reply, Thanks, Mike

sj1184

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2004, 06:23:59 PM »

Hi Mike,
Uninstall in-cd in the add/remove in the control panel & restart the computer.Then see if you can burn a cd.If everyhting's ok,go to the nero site,d/l & install in-cd.
Take care.

Sandy
mike020456

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2004, 11:41:04 AM »

Hi Sandy
Thanks again, I've actually tried uninstalling inCD before. No change this time. I select inCD in Control Panel, Click add/remove (the apply button greys out), I hit OK but nothing happens. InCD remains.
I have the Nero CD ROM but could easily go to the website I guess to download stuff.
Can I try to remove InCD from say Programs? BUt that wouldn't uninstall it would it?
Today though I was able to do a Print Screen shot of the Device Manager with the CD ROM icon (it started up fine) but then as I was saving it the system locked up, I had to power off..and of course I lost the (unsaved) file.
Any other ideas, Got to get to the source of the problem soon.
Mike

sj1184

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2004, 09:29:44 PM »

Hi MIke,
Since you have the nero cd,uninstall the nero program,then try to uninstall in-cd,then reinstall everything.
Take care.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2004, 09:35:08 PM by sj1184 » Logged

Sandy
mike020456

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2004, 12:10:25 PM »

Hi Sandy
Apologies for not replying sooner.
I don't know what I did but I managed to get my CD ROM drive working..for about half an hour. Then the system hung, I rebooted ..and it went again.
It still hasn't returned.
System restores don't work either.
One thing I did do i recall is going into Device Manager->Sis5513 Dual PCI IDE Controller->Settings -> changed Default to 'Only Primary IDE channel enabled' (I saw this advice somewhere) to check the connections. Maybe that's what got my CD ROM running.

InCD 1.3.164 is/was installed...and in another folder on my C drive there is a version 2.0. As I understand it to install either of these will require copying older versions of all my CD-RW disks to my HD because they won't be able to be read by the newer version (all created by ver 1.3).
I also need to get a Serial number for Nero 5 from the website. I can try that now.
But I also need to get the D drive running as well. The last time I tried to install InCD there was a problem with one of the files on the CD ( I wanted to copy the contents of the CD to the Nero folder on the C drive).

Fingers crossed. thanks a lot, Mike

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 

Jump to: