MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Security & Viruses arrow Topic: Removal tool does not eliminate virus
July 21, 2019, 10:46:18 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 21, 2019, 10:46:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
12th Anniversary Celebrating 12 Years! (1997 - 2009) 12th Anniversary
Thanks to ALL that make this site what it is!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Removal tool does not eliminate virus  (Read 2026 times)
Suly

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: March 03, 2004, 01:19:46 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

This is my first time here, so I hope I am following all the rules.
I am using Windows 2000.
I have Norton AntiVirus V2.0, which was installed in Ap.2002 and upon notification, renewed subscription in Ap.2003.  Now that I am having a problem, I find that Norton does not support this version any longer - so that may contribute to the situation and certainly does not make me happy with Symantec.
THE PROBLEM:  I am getting NAV pop-ups that say my computer is infected with W32.Welchia.B.worm and this is reported on the NAV log which also says <Access to file denied>.  When I run a system scan using the NAV on my computer or the one from the Symantec web site, I get a message that says no virus is found.  When I run the removal tool, downloaded from Norton, it says W32.Welcia.B. is not on my computer. I have followed all the suggestions I can find on the Symantec web site such as deleting all Temporary Internet files, etc.  I am still getting the pop-ups. I waited for four days for a response from Symantec which was no help at all. During this period   I have not noticed any problems with the operation of the computer.  
I would be very appreciative of any help.  

sj1184

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2004, 02:03:27 AM »

Hi S,
Run this virus scanner & make sure you check off "auto clean".This should get rid of the virus.
http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/
Take care.Cool

Download Attachment: RAV Auto Clean.jpg 138.62 KB
Right click and select Save Target As... then rename the file as shown here and save.

Sandy
Suly

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2004, 05:15:27 PM »

Thank you for your suggestion, but it did not remove the virus. Help!

sj1184

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2004, 06:32:54 PM »

Hi S,
All these removal tools should have worked.Is your OS winxp or win me or win2k?If so,you need to disable system restore,otherwise when you get rid of the virus,it'll be reinstalled again.Disable system restore,then use symantec or any one of the virus removers,then restart your computer & enable system restore again.
Take care.Cool
« Last Edit: March 03, 2004, 06:35:39 PM by sj1184 » Logged

Sandy
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2004, 05:31:18 PM »

Hi,

Run this other free online scanner:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
sixpac

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2004, 11:27:31 PM »

Click Start, and then click Run. (The Run dialog box appears.)
Type regedit

Then click OK. (The Registry Editor opens.)

Navigate to the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services

Delete the subkeys:

RpcPatch

and:

RpcTftpd

Exit the Registry Editor.

Download this

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/FixWelch.exe

Close all the running programs before running the tool

If you are on a network or you have a full-time connection to the Internet, disconnect the computer from the network and the Internet.

If you are running Windows Me or XP, then disable System Restore.

Double-click the FixWelch.exe file to start the removal tool

Click Start to begin the process, and then allow the tool to run

Restart the computer

Run the removal tool again to ensure that the system is clean.

When done,and if clean re-enable System Restore

(The removal procedure may not be successful if Windows Me/XP System Restore is not disabled as previously directed, because Windows prevents outside programs from modifying System Restore.)

Suly

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2004, 06:57:33 PM »

I want to thank everyone who answered my request for help and apologize for not responding in a timely manner.
In my initial post, I said that I had not noticed any problems with the operation of my computer.  On 3/3/04, I began to notice some abnormal responses and other malfunctions that that became progressively worse during the day until finally the computer became totally inoperative.  We - my computer and I - have been to the computer ER and as of today, are now back in operation.  I am holding my breath that all is well because the tech that performed the service, was at somewhat of a loss to explain some of the things I reported were happening prior to the crash.
I would like to learn from this experience ($$), but I do not know what I could have done any differenly as I was using an antivirus program that had been sold as reputable, and do not know where I got the virus initially- always thought I was careful about opening attachments, etc.
Anyway, to report the outcome, I am  back in business and not using Norton!
Again, I am very appreciative of all the responses and suggestions.
       S.

sj1184

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2004, 10:40:29 PM »

HI S,
Glad you're up & running again.As far as nortons anti-virus,i've been using it for a few years & never had a problem as long as it's updated.There are also many other reputable anti-virus programs around.
Take care.

Sandy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: