MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Floppy, DVD CDRW drives not accessible
July 18, 2019, 01:56:02 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 18, 2019, 01:56:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Looking for cheap hardware and/or software?
Visit our new Online Store where you will be able to purchase from a reputable vendor by country.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Floppy, DVD CDRW drives not accessible  (Read 2030 times)
RonWill

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: March 08, 2004, 12:04:05 PM »

Need Help!

Problem: Cannot access 'A' drive during normal run mode but can in 'Safe Mode' also cannot access CD-Rom or DVD drives unless I place in the disc and re-boot, then if changing disc cannot access again during normal mode unless again do a re-boot.

Error Message: A:\is not accesible  Incorrect funtion
same for CDRW & DVD

In windows explorer the drives show up in the folders section so they are 'seen'.

Have done the steps of removing the hardware, etc. but results always come back as above. Obviously no physical hardware problem, but access - registry problem seems to be the case?

Have 2 hard drives, CDRW, DVD, A drive - had this problem for 3 months even MSSupport could not help! They just said must be a virus issue! Am running XP-Pro and have done re-install inclusive SP1 (several very time consuming times but to no avail).

Help please as have good PC but not getting access (except as above) is very frustrating and driving me mad!

sixpac

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2004, 06:09:10 PM »

Are you using a raid setup ? Have you uninstalled the CD-Rom or DVD drives and A:\ in safe mode and reboot.

RonWill

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2004, 07:06:20 PM »

Not using Raid, uninstalled the drives whilst in normal mode, did not try that in safe mode, will try that now.
PC is AMD Athlon XP1600+ 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 2x 38MB hard drives, CDRW, DVD, A drive: all original spec (nothing added nothing taken away and worked fine for 12 mths before this problem).
Will let you know results of uninstall in safe mode - thanks for your quick response/suggestion..

RonWill

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2004, 09:19:54 PM »

Uninstalled the drives in safe mode and re-booted. Windows detected new hardware, re-installed. Same problem/error messages still exists...

sj1184

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2004, 09:47:29 PM »

Hi RW,
Try undating the chipset on the mobo.Get the make & model number of your mobo,go to the mfg's site & get the drivers for winxp.
Take care.

Sandy
sixpac

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2004, 12:51:59 AM »

Are you running either of these - Norton Internet Security 2004,Nero,or Roxio

sixpac

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2004, 01:52:11 AM »

Do you have FlashPath Monitor (for digital camera) installed
« Last Edit: March 09, 2004, 02:04:27 AM by sixpac » Logged

sixpac

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2004, 02:03:31 AM »

You can try this also http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/XP_CD-DVD-Fix.zip and save this file to your hard drive. Navigate to where you saved it and double click the file to extract the contents. Locate the EXE file you extracted and double click it.  A confirmation dialog will appear when the script is done.  You may need to reboot for the change to take effect.

This utility is only intended for Windows XP. You may need Administrator level access to use this utility.  If you do not have Administrator level access, the program will say it is finished, but will not have made any changes.

RonWill

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2004, 06:10:51 PM »

Tried the fix, sorry no change.
No flash path monitor (don't know what it is!) have Norton AV 2002 - have seen the Microsoft/Norton fixes concerning NAV4 & Radio both not applicable.
Yes have older version of Nero - but have had that since day one and not upgraded or changed its config and its always worked together with same software all my exisitng software.
I do get Windows explorer 'hanging' quite often on shut down and mostly have to revert to closing the not responding explorer.
Concerning a flash bios chipset upgrade, bit unsure how to do this - especially as it requires using the A drive and as the pc will not boot from A (only operates in Win safe mode) then it's not possible to follow the instructions I received from ASUS on upgrading the bios. Also can this really be an issue if no major changes have taken place on my pc.
All I've ever done is use MS Update and re-installed XP before the problem started. The problem started without any known preceeding event but of course there were periods that I did not use the CD/DVD so was not always checking if functioning, also unless changing a disk would not even have know it was an issue.
Any other ideas? I feel its related to something in the regedit but this is an area I fear to tread! Although I did make a change there the other day for an unrelated problem following a microsoft technical bulletin concerning my home networking and it worked correctly, so with right instructions I don't mind to try something in this direction!

sj1184

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2004, 06:28:33 PM »

Hi RW,
I'm not talking about flashing the bios.You can get updated drivers from the mfg's site as I stated in my other post.
Take care.

Sandy
RonWill

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2004, 10:59:25 PM »

Hi Sandy,
Have the lattest drivers installed for ASUS A7A133 ACPI BIOS 1012 & ALi M1647 ALiMAGIC 1 AGP system controler chipset.
To be sure existing ones had no problems I downloaded them and installed them. Everything still the same, with same problems existing!
Any other ideas please.

sj1184

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2004, 02:56:59 AM »

Hi RW,
I think you said you tried this,but go into safe mode,then open the device manager,click the "+" next to floppy disk controller & floppy disk drive.Then right click the controller & delete/remove it & the same with the drive.Then click the "+" next to the cd rom & dvd & delete/remove them also.If you see more than one in any of them,delete them all.Restart the computer,it'll detect new hardware & it'll reinstall them.See if that helps.
Take care.

Sandy
RonWill

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2004, 07:35:21 PM »

Hi Sandy & Sixpac,

FIXED!

Removed InCD unsing MS remove programs (did not remove Nero Burn software) and now everything is working again. It was not just the removeal of InCD as I've done that before to try to solve and it didn't work then. I can only guess that it's a combination of events done in a certain order that solved it, i.e. the measures taken above then again an InCD removal - who knows, as long as it's working now....
So thanks again for your time and thoughts,
Cheers,
Ron

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: