MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: A:\ Drive Problems
February 24, 2019, 04:28:27 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 24, 2019, 04:28:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A:\ Drive Problems  (Read 4357 times)
rmgh

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: March 14, 2004, 11:34:14 AM »

Right, well first of all, I turned on my PC as usual, but it gave me the invalid system disk message.  I pressed any button but it kept reading the drive and saying the same thing.  There wasn't even any disk in it at all.

I replaced the drive with a spare and turned the pc on.  It said that it had detected a new A:\ drive.  It then gave me three options, 'Save New Settings', 'Don't Change' and, 'Computer Settings'.  When I save the settings, it re-starts and comes up with the three options again.

If I don't change them, then it comes up with the message again as though there was a disk in the drive, but this time, it wasn't even reading the drive.

The third option takes me to the Compaq settings programme which, if i try and change anything to do with the floppy drive, then it just does the same.

What should I do.  Remember, this is all just in DOS.  Please make as many suggestions as possible.Grin

loner491

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2004, 08:22:50 PM »

"Non-system disk or disk error. Replace and strike any key when ready" If you had no disk in the floppy drive, you can assume that some critical OS files are missing from the hard drive . In this case, boot from a bootable floppy disk or resuce disk, and check whether the files have been erased accidentally from your hard drive.

rmgh

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2004, 09:23:44 PM »

Do you know where I could get a bootable floppy disk from?
Will I have to replace the old A:\ drive?

Thanks very much for the advise.

sj1184

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2004, 02:27:38 AM »

quote:
Originally posted by rmgh

Do you know where I could get a bootable floppy disk from?
Will I have to replace the old A:\ drive?

Thanks very much for the advise.

Hi RM,
You won't have to replace the floppy drive.Here's how to make a startup disk.You'll need a working computer with either win 98 or win me.
Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Add/Remove Programs.
Click the Startup Disk tab, and then click Create Disk.
Label a disk "Windows 98 Startup Disk," insert the disk in your disk drive when you are prompted, and then click OK.
Click OK to quit Add/Remove Programs.
Remove the Startup disk, and then store the disk in a safe place
Then all you have to do is restart the computer & it'll boot from the startup disk.
Which version of windows are you running & do you have the windows cd?
Take care.

Sandy
Mel

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2004, 01:06:33 AM »

Seem to have lost my floppy drive? Recently had Windows XP installed and when I tried to copy a file to my floppy drive, it wasn't listed in the drop-down menu. I checked in Windows Explorer and it's not there. I checked my Device Manager and it reports that I have a standard floppy drive and that it is functioning properly. I tried to update the driver, but my computer assures me that the driver is just fine as well. Someone suggested looking under "Control Panel-
Administrative Tools-Computer Management-Storage-Disk Management" but it's not in there either. I was told I could try uninstalling the floppy drive and re-installing it? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

rmgh

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2004, 05:08:46 PM »

Hey, Sandy

I have Windows 95.  I have got a 95 and a 98 disk (need a faster processor for 98).  Sound like a good idea but Windows won't run until I get past the A:\ drive problems, which I have not done.  Can I make a startup disk from DOS?

Thank you for replying.

rmgh

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2004, 05:23:00 PM »

Hey Mel,

Are you sure the drive is connected properly?  Does it do any reading at start-up?

sj1184

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2004, 08:02:40 PM »

quote:
Originally posted by rmgh

Hey, Sandy

I have Windows 95.  I have got a 95 and a 98 disk (need a faster processor for 98).  Sound like a good idea but Windows won't run until I get past the A:\ drive problems, which I have not done.  Can I make a startup disk from DOS?

Thank you for replying.

Hi RM,
Go into the device manager & see if there are any red or yellow "?" or "!" next to the floppy drive.
Take care.

Sandy
rmgh

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2004, 08:09:28 PM »

Hi

Is this the DOS programme?

sj1184

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2004, 08:20:23 PM »

Hi RM,
No it's not a dos program.It's just to see if the a drive is flagged & the error message.
Take care.

Sandy
rmgh

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2004, 08:28:08 PM »

Well I would do that but I can't get past my main problem:

Right, well first of all, I turned on my PC as usual, but it gave me the invalid system disk message. I pressed any button but it kept reading the drive and saying the same thing. There wasn't even any disk in it at all.

sj1184

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2004, 08:34:44 PM »

Hi RM,
It doesn't mean the floppy drive,but your hard drive.Restart the computer & go into the bios & in the "cmos setup",see if it reads anything for "primary master".If not,go to "ide hdd auto detection" & leave it try to auto detect the hard drive.
Take care.

Sandy
rmgh

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2004, 09:49:56 PM »

Hey Sandy,

I have replaced the old A:\ drive because my replacement won't work on my PC.  I have done a "Quick Check Diagnostics" test and an "Automatic Diagnostics" test and both didn't find anything wrong.  I have also checked in "Computer Setup>Storage>Configure Hard Drives" and it has "Primary Drive 1" selected and has info on it.

What do you think the problem is? Can I solve it or am I going to have to get a new PC?

Here is the error message again-
  Invalid system disk
  Replace the disk, and then press any key

Thank you for helping.

sj1184

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2004, 01:40:22 AM »

Hi RM,
Go into the bios & see if the hdd shows.Restart the computer & go into the bios & in the "cmos setup",see if it reads anything for "primary master".If not,go to "ide hdd auto detection" & leave it try to auto detect the hard drive.
To get into the bios,Hold down the <Del> key,
Hold down the <F1> key,Hold down the <F10> key.
Take care.

Sandy
rmgh

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2004, 08:36:07 PM »

It doesn't work.  I have a Compaq Prolinea 4/50.  Do you know how to access bios on my PC?

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 

Jump to: